Do brake lights activate during Regenerative Braking?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kryckeley

I have test driven the 2018 Outlander PHEV, and I have purchased one and currently await delivery. I intend to make the most of the EV mode and regenerative braking will be a large part of this here in Colorado. My question is simple: Do the brake lights activate during regenerative braking? It seems like it would make sense for some of the higher levels but I don't know.

You are right, they do at higher levels atleast, not sure about the lower ones. Dont seem like it.

The early ones (like mine) do not. However, this changed at some point... not sure if this is official:

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=23543#p23543

Brake lights only come on B5 at least on european model. You only need on B5 as braking/ regen is high and sharp

I'm not sure it makes sense only in B5. True, if you lift your foot of the accelerator fully and the SOC is low enough, you will get significant regen and deceleration. But if you only lift off slightly or the SOC is high, you'll get very little regen or deceleration. Surely there should be some intelligence in determining when the brake lights come on or not...?

I don't think it's just in B5, it depends on the level of braking/regen achieved and can show brake lights in B4 also.

I had this misconception of B4 brake lights on . But after trying B4 and B5 at various speeds and asking passengers in the back for reflections in the following car we confirmed B5 is the only one.

Just to copy and paste from the link I posted earlier :roll: :

"According to Mitsubishi the brake lights only come on when in B4 at speeds of 81mph and above and when in B5 at speeds of 25mph and above, so they will not be on all the time in slow moving traffic."

Back