Charge complete indicator?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philwire

How can other people at public charging stations tell my PHEV is done charging? Other cars have some green light or other indicator in the dash, but the only indicator I found is the app, wich is not helpful for strangers trying to see if they can unplug me to charge their EV-only cars.

Up to now the only thing I can think of is to put a post-it on the charger with an estimated "ok to disconnect" time.

That's a missing feature that would be easy to implement on the chargeport light: green for charge complete, red for empty and charging

The one time I charged my car at a public charger there was an lcd screen which indicated that the charge had finished.

jaapv said:
How can they unplug you? Your cable is locked into the charging station until you swipe your card again.

No the one I use in the underground parking lot of my university is more like a gas station: the cable is with the charger so anyone that parks near my car can unplug me and plug themselves.

Tethered Type 1 chargers are rare things (well, outside of Japan and the USA anyway), so I guess that's why we all assumed it was a Type 2 socket and your own cable. Type 2 sockets lock when in use, Type 1 doesn't.

But yes, you have to peer in through the window and see if the indicator light has gone off to indicate charging is complete.

All of the Type 1 and ChaDemo chargers I've encountered here in BC, Canada are tethered and have a display screen to indicate % of charge completed. I never have to use my own charger at a public charge point. Others need only look at the screen to see if my vehicle has finished charging.

Type1 charging points (most if not all public ones) do need a type1-type2 cable over here, lock the cable in and usually have a light turning from blue to green to indicate end of charge.

Back