Charging port door stuck closed?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philwire

It happened twice in the last few weeks since ownership of the PHEV. Charging port door refuses to pop open when pressing on it, have to fiddle with it for about 5 minutes until it understands what it's supposed to do.

I read somewhere in the manual theres a way to open it from inside the trunk but seems unlikely since it all looks sealed. Any hacks for next time it happens?

I'd open the flap, then have a look at the catch mechanism. Give it a push with your finger and if it's not moving smoothly give it a good clean and spray with first a penetrating oil, then a light white grease. Maybe check the metal bit on the door itself that pushes on the spring loaded pin isn't twisted or bent. Also check the gap all the way round the flap is even -it's quite thin metal and easily bent (hence the number of cars where it's chipped the paint at the hinge end).

richr said:
I'd open the flap, then have a look at the catch mechanism. Give it a push with your finger and if it's not moving smoothly give it a good clean and spray with first a penetrating oil, then a light white grease. Maybe check the metal bit on the door itself that pushes on the spring loaded pin isn't twisted or bent. Also check the gap all the way round the flap is even -it's quite thin metal and easily bent (hence the number of cars where it's chipped the paint at the hinge end).

Thanks, I'll keep an eye open for those sings.

I tried to look for some metal to metal touching in the movement of the door, but it doesnt seem to be the case. And the spring seems to respond well once I get the door open (like a ballpoint pen click in - click out mecanism)

Next time I'll try to film it with my cell phone and I'll give my dealer a ring.

Back