DRL stopped working

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eJorgen

My DRLs has stopped working. It started with that I purchased new LED versions and had them installed.
The electrician didn't quite understand DRL, so he didn't connect that part. I brought the car back and realised that the old ones doesn't work either.
I can testify to that they did work in the past. However when the mechanic connects his computer to the car to check the ETAC, the DRLs doesn't show up on his list. It's like an option that hasn't been installed.

My car is an Outlander PHEV 4WD 5STR 4DR AU (manufacturing year M14)

First question I have is, should he be looking somewhere else in the Mitsubishi computer?
Secondly, surely it's not an optional extra?
Thirdly, is there any way of switching them on without holding a torch against the sensor, and in which modes of the light switch should they work?

Best regards
Jörgen

Did you have this done by a Mitsubishi dealer? The car is a bit too complicated for third-party workshops.

Indeed.
I was going to do it myself, not much harder than changing a bulb, if I only dared to go at the plastic cup that surround it.
But yes, it was at a main dealer.

Replacing the DRLs with the LED version is almost the simplest job you can do on the PHEV. It is very straightforward DIY, so it is difficult to understand how the original swap could have gone wrong - how can you NOT plug in the connector? Are these the genuine Mitsu parts - if so, then it is a warranty claim for the dealer to fix.

Of course, if they are clones, perhaps they were never going to work anyway. Do the fog lights (either old or new) work or is it just the DRLs?

NB. The DRLs should be working when the lights are either OFF or AUTO(and the sidelights haven't come on) with the ignition on.

Hi, no they were third party DRLs, but with only changing the plug, all should work fine.
The old fog lights work, which are back in the car, works. It is just the DRLs that are dead.
BTW, the new ones were never connected as the electrician wasn't sure about them.

The strange part is that when the mechanic connects his Mitsubishi computer to the car. The DRLs doesn't show up on his list of tricks. (ETAC)

I wasn't aware they used the sensor at all. I thought they came on with the "ignition" (for want of a better term) and went off when you turned on the main lights. Or am I wrong? Never really thought about it that much. I have changed mine for LEDs and had "Angel eye" LEDs in the past, but they kept failing. So, yes, it's a very easy swap, and I can't imagine even an inexperienced person getting it wrong.

I usually have my lights set to "auto", which mean that headlights come on when needed (sensor) and the DRLs come off.
They are not allowed (here at least) to be on together with the headlights.

But good to know that is headlights are in "off" position, the DRLs should be on. Makes it a bit easier to check.
My arm was getting tired holding the torch in the garage.

Cheers
Jörgen

Unfortunately I know nothing about ETAC etc. but has he checked the fuses? However, I suppose it is possible that having stupidly not connected them, the lack of load may have burnt out the component switches them on and off. Alternatively he has buggered up the connectors.

Did the LED fog lights work?

The LED fogs did work. But the standard ones are back in the car for now. They work too.
I don't think not having the DRLs connect could screw anything up. It would be the same as a bulb going.

It's all very strange.
I've had a look at the circuit diagram, so I know which relay is driving them.
Going to check ins and outs of that at the weekend.

The strange thing is that the ETAC screen doesn't show them in the listing.
Unless the mechanic was looking at the wrong list. The one he was looking at showed rear window wipers on when you turned them on. etc.

eJorgen said:
Indeed.
I was going to do it myself, not much harder than changing a bulb, if I only dared to go at the plastic cup that surround it.
But yes, it was at a main dealer.
They'll have to sort it then ;) Maybe it needs a firmware update for the car to recognize the presence of the DRLs.

Just checked. Mine come on when car is in "Ready" mode, and go off as soon as I turn the sidelights on. I don't use the "auto" setting for the headlamps.

Regulo said:
Just checked. Mine come on when car is in "Ready" mode, and go off as soon as I turn the sidelights on. I don't use the "auto" setting for the headlamps.

Thanks. That makes it easier to find the fault.

Just had a thought. Mine is a 2014 as well and the sensor in auto mode seems to be needing more light recently (despite the sunny weather) to turn off the headlights and so, turn on the DRLs - so presumably on its way to failing. I would have assumed that this is an either or switch but it might be dual function, separately switching them but normally at the same time. If so, given the age of the car perhaps the problem is with the auto sensor thinking it is too dark to turn on the DRLs?

Alternatively, you wrote that original grease monkey failed to connect the new DRLs. With my kit the instructions say to disconnect the battery (I didn't BTW) - not sure whether this would be to protect the lights or the circuit - but, if he did, then the car would effectively re-boot from scratch, when the battery is reconnected. If DRLs are not universal to all markets, perhaps the car checks what it finds and so assumed there weren't any DRLs fitted. You could try disconnecting the battery and re-booting to see if it now "finds" them. :idea:

Back