Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heating Problems
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:12 am 

Hi all,

I'm a proud new owner of a 2014 Gh4s, great car but the heating doesn't work at all, not from the engine or electric heater. :?:

I'm getting the garage to look at it but thought I'd ask around to see if anyone has had the same problem or could give me an idea of what's going on so I have some more knowledge for when I'm going back and forth with them!

Thanks,

James

Post subject: Re: Heating Problems
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:16 am 

My understanding is that there is a pump within the heating/cooling system that circulates coolant around the car either from the engine or electric heater. This pump has been reported to fail.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:47 am 

Thanks, that's good to know, I thought it could be the thermostat but if the electric heater isn't working either then it sound more likely to be the pump.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:26 am 

Coolant filter in the four way valve clogs with scale and is the usual cause of the problem. If you have the patience you can take it out, clean and put back. A Mitsi' garage would normally replace the whole valve assembly but only once they have worked out the cause (won't show up on their MUT3 diagnostic kit) or they have come across it previously. It takes even more patience to bleed the system afterwards so stick a few bungs in your pocket if you have a go.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:01 am 

Thanks for the info and advice. Good to know for the future. In my case it turned out to be a crushed coolant line under the vehicle. It looks like it may have been from a misplaced hoist pad. I suspect it was done during the safety inspection prior to buying the vehicle, I just don't know how to prove it...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:36 pm 

Has the coolant pipe been breached and is it leaking now or has it just been blocked?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:29 am 

I'm not sure if the coolant pipe on my car has been damaged, it's now with the garage to be repaired. I'll provide an update when it comes back (fingers crossed!)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:29 pm 

Good evening. I'm a new PHEV owner and wading my way through the user manual, trying to get remote smartphone access (unsuccessfully) and have only driven the car for 2 weeks. It's interesting to read that the fact my heater only blows out cold air either to clear the windscreen or warm the car might be a problem other owners have experienced.
My commute is 15 miles. I can travel all the way to work and about 9 miles of the return journey before the motor kicks in. However, at no time during this journey, can I get warm air into the car. I have increased the drivers side temp to +25℃ which at this time of year should be high enough to trigger warm air. But no.
So should I increase the temp to a higher setting to try and get warm air?
I know and appreciate the heated seats but that isn't going to warm any passengers in the rear. Occasionally I will have my grandchildren in the back.
Should I take the car back to the dealer (MK Mitsubishi) and get their mechanics to investigate?
Also why are cars being recalled? The sales agent told me the car was serviced at a year old last September having only covered 5000 miles, and of course never mentioned about a safety recall.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:30 pm 

I should have mentioned in my last message, I have a 2017 (67 plate) Outlander PHEV.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:05 pm 

Hi, JamesP3, and welcome. Of course you should take it back. We're in 2019, not 1919! There's no reasonable explanation for no heating. If it's not working, there's a problem somewhere.

It's the 21st century - so where's my nuclear-powered flying car, then?