Heating Problems

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesmather

Hi all,

I'm a proud new owner of a 2014 Gh4s, great car but the heating doesn't work at all, not from the engine or electric heater. :?:

I'm getting the garage to look at it but thought I'd ask around to see if anyone has had the same problem or could give me an idea of what's going on so I have some more knowledge for when I'm going back and forth with them!

Thanks,

James

My understanding is that there is a pump within the heating/cooling system that circulates coolant around the car either from the engine or electric heater. This pump has been reported to fail.

Thanks, that's good to know, I thought it could be the thermostat but if the electric heater isn't working either then it sound more likely to be the pump.

Coolant filter in the four way valve clogs with scale and is the usual cause of the problem. If you have the patience you can take it out, clean and put back. A Mitsi' garage would normally replace the whole valve assembly but only once they have worked out the cause (won't show up on their MUT3 diagnostic kit) or they have come across it previously. It takes even more patience to bleed the system afterwards so stick a few bungs in your pocket if you have a go.

Thanks for the info and advice. Good to know for the future. In my case it turned out to be a crushed coolant line under the vehicle. It looks like it may have been from a misplaced hoist pad. I suspect it was done during the safety inspection prior to buying the vehicle, I just don't know how to prove it...

I'm not sure if the coolant pipe on my car has been damaged, it's now with the garage to be repaired. I'll provide an update when it comes back (fingers crossed!)

Good evening. I'm a new PHEV owner and wading my way through the user manual, trying to get remote smartphone access (unsuccessfully) and have only driven the car for 2 weeks. It's interesting to read that the fact my heater only blows out cold air either to clear the windscreen or warm the car might be a problem other owners have experienced.
My commute is 15 miles. I can travel all the way to work and about 9 miles of the return journey before the motor kicks in. However, at no time during this journey, can I get warm air into the car. I have increased the drivers side temp to +25℃ which at this time of year should be high enough to trigger warm air. But no.
So should I increase the temp to a higher setting to try and get warm air?
I know and appreciate the heated seats but that isn't going to warm any passengers in the rear. Occasionally I will have my grandchildren in the back.
Should I take the car back to the dealer (MK Mitsubishi) and get their mechanics to investigate?
Also why are cars being recalled? The sales agent told me the car was serviced at a year old last September having only covered 5000 miles, and of course never mentioned about a safety recall.

Hi, JamesP3, and welcome. Of course you should take it back. We're in 2019, not 1919! There's no reasonable explanation for no heating. If it's not working, there's a problem somewhere.

Hi Ray, yes I know. When you take these cars on a test drive, the sales agent tells the benefits of heated seats n steering wheel and how putting the a/c on drains the battery dah de dah de dah etc and if course you set of to work in the early morning and follow their advice. It's only now that I can't set the remote and read these forums from you guys that you start joining the dots and thinking yeah that didn't work on my car.
Buyer beware is the phrase I believe.

Re: recalls. As far as I'm aware there have only been 2 recalls in the UK, one for spark plugs, and one for something to do with the handbrake/rear brake mechanism. Dealers shouldn't be selling cars with outstanding safety recalls, IMO.

I've had a 16 plate PHEV since new, 3 years now, as a company car.
I've had no heating for 2 of those and it's spent around 6 months of those 3 years in the dealership with issues.
Disaster car. I've tried to get a warranty replacement vehicle but after sales and especially my local dealer service manager are useless.
It goes in, the filters are cleaned. I get heating for a couple of days. Filters block. Repeat.
Had a new heater matrix, head gasket and the recall fixes.
Last excuse was casting sand from engine blocking filter.
They've been ok providing courtesy cars however they had it for 2 months last year which cost my employer £2k on a lease car and they only worked on mine for a day!
Used to have an L200. PHEV uses more fuel and fill up daily as tiny tank. 15 miles to a full charge if that.
As you may tell, not a fan.

Yet apart from an issue with one window, nothing has gone wrong with my car since I got it in February 2015. It is a company car and now has 109,000 miles showing, mostly on petrol at no more than 35mpg.

Am I happy with the car - Absolutely
Will I have another - Definitely not - Niro or Kona Hybrid and 55+mpg here I come in 6 months

Back