Maximum regeneration under braking in B0

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThudnBlundr

When we first got our PHEV a year ago, I tried playing with the settings and seeing what happened under various scenarios. One thing I checked was the amount of regen available under the various 'B' modes, both when just lifting off and when braking. I found that barking under B0 gave me a few kW, as both the power graph on PSideP and the meter on the dash barely registered.

On the UK FB group, someone mentioned that they got 30kW on their slightly newer car. My initial thought was to wonder if my battery had degraded enough to modify the regen behaviour. So I tested it again yesterday, and now the maximum in B0 under braking is around 30kW. The car has just had a service at a dealer, and they claimed to "update all the relevant software", whatever that means. Has this software update modified the regen behaviour? Or was I just wrong when I saw almost no regen in B0?

ThudnBlundr said:
When we first got our PHEV a year ago, I tried playing with the settings and seeing what happened under various scenarios. One thing I checked was the amount of regen available under the various 'B' modes, both when just lifting off and when braking. I found that barking under B0 gave me a few kW, as both the power graph on PSideP and the meter on the dash barely registered.

On the UK FB group, someone mentioned that they got 30kW on their slightly newer car. My initial thought was to wonder if my battery had degraded enough to modify the regen behaviour. So I tested it again yesterday, and now the maximum in B0 under braking is around 30kW. The car has just had a service at a dealer, and they claimed to "update all the relevant software", whatever that means. Has this software update modified the regen behaviour? Or was I just wrong when I saw almost no regen in B0?

It is possible that firmware update could have change a bit the regen power setting/behavior.

The energy collected from regen is a bit tricky, since it is function of:
- Battery SOC
- Battery temperature
- Speed
- Brake pedal position
- B setting

So .. lot of parameter

For make things more complicated, the WhatchDog apps, but EVbatMon too, read the max in/out from the battery from a BMU place which give inaccurate reading

Anyhow .... in B0 it is possible to get a bit over 30kw ... and in B5 it is possible to get even above 40kw

Try to change the B setting while you are slowing down with same level of brake pressure, and you will notice that regen power will be quite different even if the car slow down in an identical way.

PS: Personally ... I would be happy to limit the max regen power to 25kw ... 40kw charge power on a small 12kwh battery is not ideal for have a long battery life ... this is why I always switch to B0 if I need to brake from high speed or a fast slow down even from slow speed.

Thanks for the replies. Apologies for not replying sooner, but we've had a minor family emergency, now sorted :)

I tried to see what the max regen was in various 'B' settings at the same time, so there should have been little difference in the settings when I found little regen while braking in B0 and well over 30kW in B5 - simply using the reading in the PSideP power graph. I haven't tried using an app and OBD2, so the actual readings weren't accurate, but the difference was obvious between B0 and B5 at the same time. Now doing the same, there is much less of a difference between B0 and B5 when braking when the other settings should be nearly identical.

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed a change while braking in regen in B0 from a few kW to almost 30kW. Or was it simply an anomaly and people found little change in the past year?

Back