AC Refrigerator and AC oil - PHEV 2013

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertp1979

Hello.

My AC system is not providing cool air, just blowing air from outside. The heating is working. I must go first to a AC repair shop to see if I have refrigerator and AC oil, or maybe even to look for a leak. Because I dont trust their knowledge in PHEV (for sure they will put what they appreciate), I want to ask you:
- what type of refrigerator must be put
- what type of AC oil must be used

When I start the AC, I hear a strange noise. It might be the AC compressor :(

Thank you.

jaapv said:
Those are not brand-specific.

From what I have read in the technical guide, the oil used in the aircon system is different to what is commonly used as it must have high insulation properties to protect the compressor windings. It even states that recharging equipment that has previously been used with other systems is not to be used as it can contaminate the special oil.

So, I would definitely make sure that the place you are taking it to is aware of this.

Most pumps are mechanical and run from the ICE. The PHEV has an electric pump as the ICE doesn't run a lot of the time and it uses it to cool the pack while charging. Because of the nature of the pump used, the fluid is subject to high voltages as HHL mentioned. When my condenser went, they had to replace the fluid with the expensive stuff :( Luckily it was just after I'd bought the car, so it was FoC :)

The oil spec is MA68EV (i.e., non-conductive POE, rather than the usual conductive PAG oil). Refrigerant is the usual R134a. MY2019 has the newer R-1234yf refrigerant in some countries, but not in Europe.

Hello.
I was to a service.
It was low level of refrigerator and low pressure in the system.
Everything solved with the system charged.

I will see if I have a leak in the next few days. I hope is not the case.

robertp1979 said:
Hello.
I was to a service.
It was low level of refrigerator and low pressure in the system.
Everything solved with the system charged.

I will see if I have a leak in the next few days. I hope is not the case.

I would keep a very close eye on that. Refrigerant would not just disappear without a leak and running the compressor dry could cost big money if it isn't already damaged.

Back