Phev decelerating when taking foot off acceleration

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddy111199

Having a big problem which I hope you can help please! After going over 100kmp and taking my foot off the accelerator the car chugs and reduces power similar to it going down in gears. If I put it into neutral after going over 100kmph I don't have this issue. This is quite scary and dangerous as we were on a motorway when this happens. I have checked the limiter and is not the problem.

I recently got my break pads replaced by the car service agents and they assured me this isn't at fault. I am at a loss as to what to do next!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Apologies if this sounds like teaching you to suck eggs, but the default regenerative braking value is 2 and at this setting you will experience some degree of retardation which increases as you increase the setting up to 5. At setting 0 there is no braking effect and it feels similar to being in neutral. Have you checked your setting when you experience this effect?

Thank you for your reply. May I ask where would I check the settings for this? Apologies as I know this is a basic question but I have no idea as to how to check this. Many thanks

It is the number on the middle of the instruments in front of you. Sounds like you need to go to a Mitsubishi dealer and get them to explain how the car works. It is pretty fundamental to the operation of the PHEV.

CJ

Thank you for all the replies and I'm sorry for the stupid questions!

Last question, when I paddle to b0 how do I save this setting to ensure when I drive the car again it stays in this setting? Also I know you said that it is preset in the car that D is in b2 but I think my car was inadvertently changed to b4. Do you know how to change this back please

I think it is rather unsafe to put the car in neutral during driving. There are plenty of situations where you need to accelerate.

The default of B2 is similar to the engine braking you'd get in a conventional automatic gearbox car. So for most people most of the time there's no need to change it. The reason you can increase the regenerative braking is for descending hills - in the same way as you'd change down a gear or two in a manual gearbox car (or an auto with paddles/manual mode) so that the engine is slowing the car rather than relying on the brakes.

You may have accidentally put it into B3 or B5 by moving the gearstick back - across and forward is reverse, across and back is drive. Just back increases the regenerative braking to B3 and then B5 if you do it again. Or possibly you did it with the paddles.

Leaving it in the default D setting should be fine for the majority of driving. Driving around in B0 can be a novelty but you'll be using your brakes a lot more as there's nothing to slow the car down when you take your foot off the accelerator pedal. Similarly driving around in B5 means you use the brakes less, but it can surprise drivers following you when you suddenly slow down (without the brake lights coming on in some cases). You won't really gain much charge into the battery to make it worthwhile unless you're going down a hill.

Can't say I've ever felt the urge to select '0' - apart from by mistake sometimes. '0' is definitely the most scary of the modes as there's no 'engine' braking at all. This can be a bit of a surprise on the motorway if you're going downhill. Although when the batterries are fully charged It sometimes feels more like '0' rather than '2'.

I'm not sure why the original post suggests 'chuggs' though. The type of regenerative braking available (from '1' to '5') is always very progressive - not at all 'chuggy' - which I'm guessing you mean is like if you were to inadvertently shift a conventional manual gearbox down, and let the clutch out too suddenly.

Select 'neutral' when moving along - is that even possible?

You get regen in all B settings, depending on a number of factors.
http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4358

Certainly true in my 19MY, and from memory in my 16MY. The B setting changes the interplay between the two pedals, but I don't think makes a substantial difference in regen/mechanical braking once you have requested a certain level of braking, either by lifting off the throttle pedal in a high B setting or pressing brake pedal in a low B setting.

NightPHEVer said:
Can't say I've ever felt the urge to select '0' - apart from by mistake sometimes. '0' is definitely the most scary of the modes as there's no 'engine' braking at all. This can be a bit of a surprise on the motorway if you're going downhill. Although when the batterries are fully charged It sometimes feels more like '0' rather than '2'.

I'm not sure why the original post suggests 'chuggs' though. The type of regenerative braking available (from '1' to '5') is always very progressive - not at all 'chuggy' - which I'm guessing you mean is like if you were to inadvertently shift a conventional manual gearbox down, and let the clutch out too suddenly.

Select 'neutral' when moving along - is that even possible?
Yes. The fastest way is to attempt to engage "R" when moving at speed. The car will go into Neutral immediately, a source of complaints about unexpected power loss by knocking the lever without noticing.
At (very) low speed "R" can be engaged when moving forward and via versa which is very practical when maneuvering, as one can switch seamlessly between moving forwards and backwards, without braking, just by reversing the thrust.

Hi,

I have experienced this while driving in D standard and also in eco at 120km/h
It happens when I take off acceleration and the car is running with the engine or in parallel mode.
I first experienced this at 110 km/h driving in eco save in parallel mode b0 and selecting b1 just after taking foot of acceleration.

Is this normal? It seems it tries to regenerate without disengaging the engine from the front wheels.

Back