Evse not working

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypermiler

After 5 years of regular use I am getting no lights on my granny charger. I'm planning to take it to a repair cafe today - I've tried searching and found a pic of the inside, a warning re a small black cable and that we might need a hair drier to get into it. Can anyone suggest what the fault will look like when we open it? Is it likely to be an obvious loose connection? I know this has been an issue - what have others found. My car is no longer under warranty.
Cheers
H

Hi Hyper.

The usual fault is a break in the mains input cable side of the EVSE. This is often cause is hanging the EVSE by the plug rather than the lanyard. Most folks find that wiggling the input cable brings it back to life for a while.
Once you have it apart you can usually feel where the break is. Shorten and reconnect or fit a longer cable if that works for you. If you go this route buy a decent 13A plug, maybe MK - don't scrimp on this as it has to cope with 10A continuously and those from the Far East just won't.
Some basic soldering skills or a crimping tool will come in handy.

Plenty have carried this out. Take your time doing it.

Good luck.

Thanks Martin
We think this is the case as the lights occasionally come on when wiggling that end. I do always support the cable and never dangle it but hey... I’m planning to buy top notch lead and plug and take it back to the repair cafe and hope they can attach it for me. We couldn’t get into it at the weekend so I need to get the hairdryer out!
Cheers
H

Back