Are all the use / charge options worth it???

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhandrew

I've have my 2018 PHEV for several months. I've tried playing around with the save, charge, EV buttons and am not sure that does any better on average than just driving it in normal and letting the software management do its thing. Your thoughts?
Bob

I think you have it right. The car preset does pretty well and you really need to know what you are doing if you want to beat it by playing the buttons.
Better to think of the buttons as a way to tell the car what it cannot know:
Save : This is the amount of battery power that It want to reserve for further on in the journey.
Charge : I think I will need maximum battery power ahead.
EV : I want you to use the ICE as little as possible to show off electric driving to my friend
Etc.

The car manages itself based on the information it has. It doesn't know if you're going on a long trip or a few miles, on a motorway with a long urban section at the end or just round the block. I like to think I know more about what my journey will entail, so I switch it into Save as soon as possible once I hit a motorway: it lessens the power output required from the battery (which may help with physical degradation) and allows me to save EV for slower parts of the journey (as charging the battery in Series Mode is less efficient)

Having said that, I don't do long journeys often enough to be able to do back-to-back tests to see if doing the above actually save much in the way of fuel :roll:

I van onlusten garde with the previous post, the car does it very smartly, but can’t predict the trip. Charging in parallel is more efficient, especially when driving about 70-80 km/h on local roads, provided you need charge for some of the trip.

Most of the time it’s not worth the effort.
Just enjoy the technology doing it’s job (my 2 Cents)

Back