Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Disabling PHEV's wifi
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:55 am 

Hello,
I've just unknownly caused a bit of a security breach at work on account of my wifi broadcast. I've checked the manual and app but can't seem to find a 'wifi off' function. Does anyone know of it is possible to disable the wifi? Failing that, which fuse can I pull??

Thanks in advance,

RAS

Post subject: Re: Disabling PHEV's wifi
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:18 am 

I can't see how your car's WiFi can cause a security breach?
It's completely self contained, not possible for it to cause any security problems for any other networks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:36 am 

westdevon wrote:
It's completely self contained, not possible for it to cause any security problems for any other networks.

Yeap! I tried telling them that but apparently any form of wireless hotspot is against policy (this is classic behaviour from my employer). So I just need to turn off or hide the ssid. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:27 pm 

I've not come across any reference to a way to turn the wireless off that I can recall. I don't think ssid broadcast can be turned off due to the wierd procedure to connect to it. I could be wrong though. Someone else might be able to identify a fuse I suppose. Apparently the aerial is under the trim by the nearside rear quarter window. It might be possible to access the cable and splice in a switch.

Or get a new job :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:45 pm 

It might be worth it to see if the paranoid IT dept can access the PHEV through the WiFi. Without help of course. They might then realize there is not much of a problem.

I would just park a bit further away.

BTW I presume no personal phones are allowed, or personal laptops etc.

Make the GRID your friend.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:05 pm 

Ras85 wrote:
westdevon wrote:

Yeap! I tried telling them that but apparently any form of wireless hotspot is against policy (this is classic behaviour from my employer). So I just need to turn off or hide the ssid. Any thoughts?
He'll have an increasing number of problems as more and more cars come with WiFi connectivity. A position that cannot be maintained in the near future unless he insists on allowing only Suzuki Altos and similar cars in his parking lot.
There are pacemakers with WiFi connectivity on the market nowadays. What is he going to do about that? King Canute comes to mind...

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:48 am 

Ive had a play and it seems as though the wifi module is linked to the 'control unit relay' fuse behind the glove compartment. So I can disable the wifi, but then I cant drive the car! Without ripping apart the interior to splice in a switch the only other option I can think of is to disconnect the auxiliary battery whilst at work...which means I loose all my log data. Looks like I'm screwed!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:53 am 

I would say if the company imposes a (silly) restriction it is up to the company to facilitate a reasonable solution. If you were to get a confirmation from your dealer that their demand is not implementable?

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:13 am 

As we all know, there are / have been issues with stability of phone calls made via BT. These issues seem to go away when the WiFi on the phone is disabled. One time my Dutch dealer asked me if I had any issues and he showed me an official document from the Dutch Mitsu distributor in which temporarily disabling of the Wifi module was presented as a workaround.

So, it must be possible.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:28 am 

jaapv wrote:
Ras85 wrote:
westdevon wrote:

He'll have an increasing number of problems as more and more cars come with WiFi connectivity. A position that cannot be maintained in the near future unless he insists on allowing only Suzuki Altos and similar cars in his parking lot.
There are pacemakers with WiFi connectivity on the market nowadays. What is he going to do about that? King Canute comes to mind...

Any BT Infinity customers nearby whose routers act as line side WiFi hotspots :oops: