Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lindqvist method : DIY BMU Battery Reset
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:16 pm 

Maybe my english is not the best, but you don't know what a driver is doing ;)

And, only for your info, it is not depending on the MUT version.

2019 Top

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:38 pm 

The custom driver is just a passthrough "translator" that allows the use of the cheaper Toyota J2534 OBD cable with the MUT.

In other news I know of one car where the estimated capacity was actually 2Ah higher than the DBCAM measured capacity and the reset didn't deliver any range extension at all. So in some cases the BMU estimates are actually "working well" which is the opposite of what everyone would expect these days :)
"Your mileage after Lindqvist may vary."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:45 pm 

elm70 wrote:

I would not even use a 3S Lipo (I see the DC/DC charger push 14.7v ... this will fry a 3S Lipo relative quickly)

As I mentioned above it was essential that a 5A fuse was used and contact immediately lifted when charge commenced, but yes this is definitely not a recommended procedure and was in my case for testing purposes only.

Actually, nothing mentioned in this thread would be recommended, period

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:59 pm 

Mitch wrote:

What? ...are you having me on ?

This is what YOU posted:
Mitch wrote:
use the old version 18091

and another poster:
obiuquido144 wrote:
Versions PRE18121 and PRE19031 don't work. PRE18091 works.
Procedure: viewtopic.php?p=38503#p38503
There are two items "1. Control information reset" and "2. BATT.capa. estimated info. reset".
Item 2 alone results in 40Ah SOH, 60 days battery age, AC/DC 0Ah and Usage 0Ah.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4533&start=40

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:51 am 

MadTechNutter wrote:
elm70 wrote:

I would not even use a 3S Lipo (I see the DC/DC charger push 14.7v ... this will fry a 3S Lipo relative quickly)

As I mentioned above it was essential that a 5A fuse was used and contact immediately lifted when charge commenced, but yes this is definitely not a recommended procedure and was in my case for testing purposes only.

Actually, nothing mentioned in this thread would be recommended, period

Ok ... if it was for a short time ... yes it is relative safe ...5A charge in a Lipo ... I bet you would need to use a relative high capacity battery at around 50% SOC ...anyhow ... details ...

About that nothing mention here is recommended ... this is questionable.

I think there is evidence that the BMU is pessimistic about battery SOH
I'm still not convinced that DBCAM is the perfect solution (maybe if the charging process is at 6A or even less .. maybe) .. since anyhow the BMU firmware is "strange"

So ... reset the BMU is looking a "decent" option for increase EV usability ... but ... it needs to be done in "aware way"

The original Lindqvist Method, or the short version ... don't have any risk at all ... it is just about disconnecting the 12v battery

Clearly, the BMU reset via MUT is even better .. but this require download "pirate" software from the net, questionable drivers .. etc etc ... so quite some time for prepare a PC and few dollars for hardware and driver license ... in my case I did find easier to use the Lindqvist Method ... if I would have fail .. possibly I would have consider the MUT approach ...

Else ... it is also possible to ask "nicely" to a Mitsubishi authorized service to make a BMU reset .... I'm sure some would be open to the customer requests

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:39 am 

MadTechNutter wrote:
Mitch wrote:

What? ...are you having me on ?

This is what YOU posted:
Mitch wrote:
use the old version 18091

and another poster:
obiuquido144 wrote:
Versions PRE18121 and PRE19031 don't work. PRE18091 works.
Procedure: viewtopic.php?p=38503#p38503
There are two items "1. Control information reset" and "2. BATT.capa. estimated info. reset".
Item 2 alone results in 40Ah SOH, 60 days battery age, AC/DC 0Ah and Usage 0Ah.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4533&start=40

Because PRE are not finale versions ;)

2019 Top

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:26 am 

For MadTechNutter:

With a charged aux battery (not a discharged one at 7 volts), I put a digital meter in series and got brief 6 amp readings and one brief 18 amp reading on connecting.

So no aussie car has worked with the Lindqvist method?

That's because you have to disconnect the positive lead in the southern hemisphere...... :-)

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:36 am 

...arrrgg, I must be jinxed :evil:

After waiting so long, the Ebay seller tells me that my cable has been lost in the Post and has refunded the $20.

Mitsu ppl being so open to do a BMU reset for me here in Australia?

I doubt the local dealer has ever seen a PHEV before and know what a BMU is. Only 1200 were sold in Australia. I live in a small town 600 km from the next big city and the only way to ask here nicely is hand over a wad of cash :|
I see regularly Ferraris and Lambos but the only time I ever saw a PHEV was when I got mine delivered :)

... and in the short time I own it, quite a few strangers have asked me already when I go to my car: "What is a fev?"
So I am already more famous than a Ferrari owner :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:39 am 

About the D method ...

I was thinking .. can be simulated a low voltage 12v battery with a big capacitor .. like a super cap ?

I think this can be easily put down in natural way to around 8v (or whatever is needed) .. without any side effect.

Possibly a relative expensive way ... possibly is cheaper to source an old 2v battery

Anyhow ... I still did not fully read/analyzed the D method .. I guess is a Lindqvist variation, which use a low 12V battery .. but still it need the tricky charging and battery disconnect ...

Per Andy from YouTube the D method should work in every PHEV :shock: :o :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:43 am 

MadTechNutter wrote:
...arrrgg, I must be jinxed :evil:

After waiting so long, the Ebay seller tells me that my cable has been lost in the Post and has refunded the $20.

Mitsu ppl being so open to do a BMU reset for me here in Australia?

I doubt the local dealer has ever seen a PHEV before and know what a BMU is. Only 1200 were sold in Australia. I live in a small town 600 km from the next big city and the only way to ask here nicely is hand over a wad of cash :|
I see regularly Ferraris and Lambos but the only time I ever saw a PHEV was when I got mine delivered :)

... and in the short time I own it, quite a few strangers have asked me already when I go to my car: "What is a fev?"
So I am already more famous than a Ferrari owner :mrgreen:

Also LaFerrari is a "fev" :mrgreen: ... but it is missing the EV mode ... like the first Outlander PHEV :ugeek:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next