8kWh to fully charge?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustzero

I’ve been a 2018 Outlander PHEV owner for just over 6 months now and I’ve always just charged without any data on the charge. Mostly just plugging into a wall overnight. I live in a strata and have recently installed a new product that is a smart level 1 box that logs all my charging data, charges me 25c an hour, and pays my strata directly. I almost always come home with a near empty battery so I expect to require 12 kWh to charge. My smart charger is giving me a full charge from empty after 8 hours (which I expect), but it’s documenting around 8 kWh of energy at 12 amps. What’s going on here? Why isn’t a full charge 12 kWh of energy consumed?

Rustzero said:
I’ve been a 2018 Outlander PHEV owner for just over 6 months now and I’ve always just charged without any data on the charge. Mostly just plugging into a wall overnight. I live in a strata and have recently installed a new product that is a smart level 1 box that logs all my charging data, charges me 25c an hour, and pays my strata directly. I almost always come home with a near empty battery so I expect to require 12 kWh to charge. My smart charger is giving me a full charge from empty after 8 hours (which I expect), but it’s documenting around 8 kWh of energy at 12 amps. What’s going on here? Why isn’t a full charge 12 kWh of energy consumed?
Battery is normally only discharged so that 30% or 3.6kWh is left as reserve. That is how Mitsubishi wants it.
12kWh-3.6kWh = 8.4kWh.
8kWh sounds spot on if you still have a couple of km left.

Interesting, thank you. That makes sense now. I need to adjust my hourly fee with strata as well because I thought 12 amps would get me 1.4 kWh charging but I’m only getting 1 kWh.

Back