Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Lindqvist method : DIY BMU Battery Reset
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:03 pm 

Battery Reset Procedure from Lindqvist:

From Andy video EP248 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei6OdxynmUk

1 - Drive your battery low
2 - Disconnect 12v battery
3 - Wait 2h-6h
4 - Plug-In the car
5 - Connect 12v battery for 3-5 seconds
6 - Let the car fully charge
7 - Disconnect charger
8 - Reconnect 12v battery

Method above did not really work for me ... success rate for the method above around 30%

What did work for me was the "short" method

0 - Battery should not be fully charged (no need to drive battery low)
1 - Disconnect 12v battery
2 - Plug-In the car (use only the 10A charger included with the car ?)
3 - Connect 12v battery for ~3 seconds (please listen the click from the 10A charger, 12v battery need to be disconnected just before the charger make a click)
4 - Wait ~10 seconds .. check with the Apps the SOH, if it is not 40Ah, please , unplug the car from the charger and repeat from point 2)

If this does not work ... try to:
- Click on the stop button on the 10A charger
- Remove the 220v power from the 10A charger.

In my case ... after repeating few times this did work for my MY2013

Other method
Method D

Apparently there is an error that can trigger BMU reset when 12v battery is low ...
People over discharge the 12v or disconnect the 12v and use an external weak 12v battery ... in connection with charging process
I will get further information, and I will copy here.

D method : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4581

Last edited by elm70 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Lindqvist method : DIY BMU Battery Reset
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:07 am 

Yes. There are reports that this works well.

If you do the software method, you can either do the reset in 2-3 min (same thing) and claim this happened. Or can also do cell smoothing and dbcam to get a more permanent option.

The leaving the previous data seems to reset the battery to where it was. I’m still evaluating how a straight wipe does in comparison such as this method.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:02 am 

Bit astonished people are so quiet about this here.

Could anybody who intends to do this procedure please read with the watchdog the cell voltage when their drive battery shows 'empty' before the procedure and the empty voltage value after a successful reset?

...and of course their trip odometer before and after, not the displayed EV range but the actual kms driven from fully charged in EV mode until the ICE kicks in with light foot driving and then read the voltage on the watchdog, once stopped at a safe location of course.
Please voltages only, no % or Ah.
Thank you :)

If this really significantly increases the range on older batteries then I can only imagine this is possible by deeper discharge.
If the true SoC goes down to 20%, I have absolutely no concern as this will not degrade the battery and should still have enough reserve for any mishaps.
It seem obvious that the 'improvement" will degrade over time as this seems to be the way Mitsubishi had it designed but then I would actually consider building in a Reset button to discharge over a small resistor the capacitor for the SRAM that stores the BMU data after I disconnect the 12V battery.
We do this the whole time to clear the CMOS for the BIOS in Personal Computers.
The resistor is important in case the reset button is accidentally pressed with 12V battery or charger connected. 470Ω -1KΩ should be OK and then hold the button for a 10 seconds.

What I find a bit questionable is why the battery has to stay disconnected while it is charging after the BMU data is obviously erased.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:33 pm 

Just tried it today.
12 volt off for 3:45.
Back on 6:30 later after a 240 volt 15 amp charge.
No difference in capacity. :(
The DC/DC keeps the car on until full charge then everything shuts off.
Power lift gate can't be opened after 12 volt disconnect. I tried to close it lightly to avoid that but it still latched and I had to climb from back seats to remove 12v lead.
I think my voltage was around 3.85 before charging.

2011 Leaf SV

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:03 pm 

Lon12 wrote:
Just tried it today.
12 volt off for 3:45.
Back on 6:30 later after a 240 volt 15 amp charge.
No difference in capacity. :(
The DC/DC keeps the car on until full charge then everything shuts off.
Power lift gate can't be opened after 12 volt disconnect. I tried to close it lightly to avoid that but it still latched and I had to climb from back seats to remove 12v lead.
I think my voltage was around 3.85 before charging.

Thanks for your feedback.
This is interesting: 3.85V looks like around 50% true SoC, was your battery indicator in the dashboard showing low/ empty?

The proper time to keep the 12V disconnected has not been established yet and in your case looks like is was too short to discharge the SRAM backup capacitor.
The leakage of these capacitors can vary wildly, so I would suggest waiting 8hours(overnight) 12V off before commencing charge if you want to try again .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:04 am 

Was showing empty. Ran the heat with the App until it shut off.
Will try longer disconnect next time.

2011 Leaf SV

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:36 am 

Tried it twice on 2018 PHEV sel US model but it did not work
1st time had 12v battery off for 3.5hours
2nd time 7 hours

Will try again with 14+ hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:15 pm 

Lon12 wrote:
Was showing empty. Ran the heat with the App until it shut off.
Will try longer disconnect next time.

3.85V showing empty, that is outrageous !

Below is the typical discharge curve of Li-Ion batteries from a reliable source and we are looking at over 60% SoC here:
https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php ... _batteries

I am having difficulties finding discharge curves for the LEV40 but I assure you in the 25 years I have been dealing with Lithium batteries they all behave fairly similar.

I am bed-stricken ATM and don't have any App but when I am fit again I am going to drive the crap out of my battery and see where I am at.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by MadTechNutter on Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:55 am 

Had my neighbour drive it to --.-- km.
Very tiny bit left on the battery symbol.

Crawled out of bed to measure with a dizzy head.
Watchdog reads with handbrake pulled and selector in D and head lights on: 3.825V
Cell difference is 0.011 and NOT 0.005, so I wonder if the BMU and ECU are 'arguing' about that?
According to the display from 29Ah there is 8.4Ah or 29% left.
...but at that voltage I should have around 60% left.

Pulled the 12V.
After that I also pressed the START button for 20 seconds, just had a hunch. We do that to clear RAM in MacBooks and some other laptops :)
I read somewhere that by disconnecting the 12V for a longer time the 15l petrol per 3 month counter gets reset !
So it is now obvious to me that the ECU has a volatile memory section that can be cleared too, by removing the 12V.

This might be the reason why it might not work with newer models as they changed something in the ECU to make the stored values resident.
This could simply be a matter of a software change to write the values in the resident EEPROM rather than the volatile SRAM.
Compared to the ECU the BMU would be a relative dumb device where you can't simply change it's Firmware.

I probably can only keep it disconnected for 5 hours before I will have to sleep and put the charger on overnight. Tomorrow at 12 noon I will know more.

Last edited by MadTechNutter on Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:26 am 

Been following your posts very closely!

Keep’em coming please!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next