New owner question

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazzo

Just got our late 2014 GX4HS a week ago. Starting to notice some behaviour I think is odd but thought I'd ask first. It is going in for a service next week, so it would be good to know if I need to mention this.

We got the car from someone who had owned it from new. Until about a year ago, he used to charge the car regularly, but then moved house and couldn't charge the car as it was parked on the road. So he drove it for a year more or less as a pure hybrid.

When we did our first full charge, it said a range of 25 miles. Each time we drove the car until it was either empty or almost of charge,then charged fully.

Second charge = 27 miles range
Third charge = 30 mile range
Forth charge = 25 mile range
Fifth charge 25 mile

We are not using heater/aircon at all.

What concerns me are three things:

1. Why do we get different ranges for the same amount (full) charging?
2. The car is driven gently, yet in 2 miles will lose about 3 or 4 miles of the range as an example
3. If the car is left standing, the range decreases. So it may have (as yesterday) 19 miles of range. Got back in after 4 hours and it was down to 15 miles range.

The car has 100k miles on it but is in good condition and has been regularly serviced by MItsubishi. As we are new to this, it may be expected but I am unsure. I have read all about the charge capacity issues and different methods for resetting it, but the depletion when not in use or the poor translation of range to actual miles seems a concern.

Advice would be very helpful.

Hi Mazzo, welcome here,

The guessometer (Range indicator) takes in account the previous journeys, so I would explain this as normal, from my own experience.

The guessometer estimates the remaining range, based on the first part of the traffic, for me that is shown when I take one of the routes and speed up to 80km and have driven previously a moderate 60 on local roads with lots of regeneration.
I even suspect the navigation inputting Road Type to the car management.

On your 3rd point, losing mileage on the guessometer, I can’t help you out, but there’s a lot of info on the forum, but other members might help out not here.

Enjoy your PHEV !

TweeNeuzen said:
On your 3rd point, losing mileage on the guessometer, I can’t help you out, but there’s a lot of info on the forum, but other members might help out not here.

The only thing I can think of is the outside temperature which may affect the estimated range. My fully charged PHEV shows a lot more range (40 miles this morning) on a warm day than in the winter ( about 25 miles). That does not mean that is the actual mileage that will be achieved as that depends on the road conditions and journey type.

Thank you both.

It's good to know that it isn't "unusual".

Temperature here today is a fairly warm 19'C - and it fluctuated during that.

However, we did 11 miles this evening with the range starting on 23 miles - and it finished up with 10 miles left, so not too bad - we lost two but to be fair, we did put the aircon on for about 3 or 4 minutes.

We are enjoying the car a lot. I'm very impressed with it and it is nice to drive. I've watched a lot of videos on line and read quite a lot of this forum before we even bought it (research!) but I know we still have a lot to learn about it. Understanding how it reports stuff is probably the hardest. Also, I noticed in the handbook that the explanation of Eco Mode is pretty minimal, so most times we are driving with it in Normal mode.

When I bought the car, I had a 185 mile journey home, most of it by motorway, so I drove up to the motorway in normal mode, then switched to Battery Save whilst travelling at speed, then back to Normal once off the motorway. I managed to get 47.3 mpg.

Currently, with mostly local driving, the display is just showing --.-, which I have read means it is over 100mpg. Is this something that is per trip or is it an average?

Anyhow, thanks for the welcome and the advice.

Back