Charging timer and preheat bug

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 258

Hi All,
You may have read the electric heating topic in which I complained that my PHEV on a 10A UK cable used ONLY the battery for preheating even though it was connected to mains.

Well, after a bit of messing about I think I've worked out it is a bug in the car's software and it will probably affect those with a 16A charger too.

If you have the charging set to timer either because you get cheaper electricity in the early hours or you do this as it is best for the grid then when you use the preheater it will heat from battery. If you do not set the charging timer then when you choose preheat it will at the same time start drawing power from the mains, even with my 10A charger. I realise it may still use more power than the mains can supply (4KW used against 2.75KW mains) but the difference is minimal.

The setting I had previously tested was to allow charging between 1am and 10am, with the preheater to start at 7.45. In this setup the heater used just battery. Even manually selecting the heater didn't take power from the mains.

My guess is that once the battery is charged, it transitions to "waiting to charge" mode even though you are within the allowed charging schedule and doesn't allow mains to be used for preheat.

This is an easy fix for myself as I will just use a timed outlet to achieve the same thing. Anyone with off peak electricity and that intends to preheat should check this out. Do the 16A charge points allow a charging schedule or is it entirely down to the car

Kind regards,
Mark

Hi
So are you saying that if you set the charger to come on between say 1am & 7am, to gain the advantage of off peak, if you are still pluged into the mains and turn on the heating with the remote control it will draw its supply from the mains?
Regards
Peter

Sorry what i meant is that if the timing cycle is complete and you are still pluged into the mains will the heating then be supplied from the mains?
Regards
Peter

Hi,
No, what I'm saying is that even if you are still plugged into the mains the preheat will come totally from the battery. It won't use the mains at all.
This is still true if your timer is 1am to 11am, and the preheat is used (manually or timer) at 10am which is still within the timer window. In the example you gave, 1am to 7am, if you used preheat at 8am I would expect just the battery to be used as you are outside the time the car can use the mains.
Kind regards,
Mark

Ayensys ...

Thanks for investigating that previous posts were becoming like a Tolstoy novel on this subject { just kidding }.

I sure your findings will help not just me but many others ..

Fingers crossed picking up car Wednesday , what's a little bit cheeky is i'am having LEDS running lights fitted and asked for the old ones back they said its not possible as these are installed at the port. cant be bothered to argue as not up to it in my present state ...

Fingers crossed picking up car Wednesday , what's a little bit cheeky is i'am having LEDS running lights fitted and asked for the old ones back they said its not possible as these are installed at the port. cant be bothered to argue as not up to it in my present state ...
englishman, I had the rear DVD's fitted at the port but I still got the original headrests as well. I would ask again :? ...

Well I've been waiting for maddogs and Englishman to get together. Sorry couldn't resist....(apologies if it's been said before)

jdsx...

My sense of humour well that is my surname English so most of my email addresses are Englishman something or other.

On another note going to pick my car up on Wednesday my 26 yr old son will be driving , and from then on it will be just sitting on the drive until I get the ok from my Surgeon ....anyone wants to pop round and give it a wash your more than welcome.

Avensys, that seems to be the same thing I have observed. The heater uses more than 3.3 kW possible 4 kW.

I have a 16 amps Charge Amps cable that can be set to 6, 10 or 16 amps. When the heater is on, at the 16 amps setting, the car pulls 3300 W from the wall socket but seems to use some battery.

At the 6 amps setting it uses 1300 W from the mains + a lot of battery.

Treo said:
Avensys, that seems to be the same thing I have observed. The heater uses more than 3.3 kW possible 4 kW.

I have a 16 amps Charge Amps cable that can be set to 6, 10 or 16 amps. When the heater is on, at the 16 amps setting, the car pulls 3300 W from the wall socket but seems to use some battery.

At the 6 amps setting it uses 1300 W from the mains + a lot of battery.
Hi,

Yes, the heater is 4KW. Also, remember that even if the car can pull 4KW from the mains that is before the charging losses are involved so 4KW wouldn't make it to the heater anyway.

Actually though, that isn't the bug I describe. The preheat bug with charging timer means ALL heater energy use comes from the battery EVEN if it is plugged into the mains.

Kind regards,
Mark

Hi,
I have had confirmation from Mitsubishi UK that they have replicated this problem and accepted it as a bug. Now passed to Mitsubishi in Japan.
Kind regards,
Mark

Oh brilliant -let's hope a software update will solve it. I can't see why it wouldn't.
Thanks for investigating and sharing that.
H

Bit of help and advice please re the charger timer, picked my GX4 on Monday and have been looking to charge it over night to take advantage of the off peak rates. Set the first pattern to come on at 01.00 hrs & off at 07.00hrs and this I allocated to each day,I thought there would be an over ride switch I could push if I also wanted to charge outside of those times but couldn't find one so set a 2nd pattern from 14.00hrs to17.00hrs if I wanted a charge in the afternoon and was looking to switch over to this if required. I have also set the full charge to on for each day.
When I plugged the charger in this evening ready to charge overnight it began charging right away I went into the Settings and turned off the full charge thinking it could be coming because of that but it didn't make any difference and the charge continued. I must admit that I thought this function only came into play if the battery hadn't reached its full charge after the timer session had expired.
Any thoughts please on what I am doing wrong!!
The only other problem I have at the moment is trying to get the bl***y app to sync but I will persevere
Other than these couple of items loving the car, having fun driving it and showing it off to friends and neighbours.
Peter

Peter said:
I thought there would be an over ride switch I could push if I also wanted to charge outside of those times but couldn't find one
The easiest way to do this is from the app (when you get it working). Just press the Timer ON/OFF button on the app and it will start charging straight away.
Kind regards,
Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm a new PHEV owner and stumbled across this thread as seem to be having the same issue currently.

Did you ever have any update on this bug or any tips on how to get around it?

Many thanks,

Andy

avensys said:
Hi,
I have had confirmation from Mitsubishi UK that they have replicated this problem and accepted it as a bug. Now passed to Mitsubishi in Japan.
Kind regards,
Mark

Bugs are for free ... and mitsubishi PHEV does provide tons of them for keep entrained their customer

I notice the following bug:

If WiFi app is used .. then the on board MMCS for setting charging time and heat up time will not work.

For make it work this via the MMCS it is needed to disable the WiFi and this will reset the MMCS memory associated to the timers .. and then these timer will work again

MMCS timer for charging, is sick ... way better to me to use a 10USD timer on the power line before feed the charger.

I did notice that using the heater ... for get the car warm in the morning before start the daily trip, it does consume between 3 and 5km of range ... something acceptable for me.

If you want to use pre heat from the mains use the mobile phone app from the bedroom window like I do;

First cancel the charge timer.

Second - activate your previously programmed heating / demisting / air-conditioning mode for the previously set period of time.

Charger clunks and the job, as they say, is a good un.

What's the problem?

JimB

avensys said:
Hi All,
You may have read the electric heating topic in which I complained that my PHEV on a 10A UK cable used ONLY the battery for preheating even though it was connected to mains.

Well, after a bit of messing about I think I've worked out it is a bug in the car's software and it will probably affect those with a 16A charger too.

If you have the charging set to timer either because you get cheaper electricity in the early hours or you do this as it is best for the grid then when you use the preheater it will heat from battery. If you do not set the charging timer then when you choose preheat it will at the same time start drawing power from the mains, even with my 10A charger. I realise it may still use more power than the mains can supply (4KW used against 2.75KW mains) but the difference is minimal.

The setting I had previously tested was to allow charging between 1am and 10am, with the preheater to start at 7.45. In this setup the heater used just battery. Even manually selecting the heater didn't take power from the mains.

My guess is that once the battery is charged, it transitions to "waiting to charge" mode even though you are within the allowed charging schedule and doesn't allow mains to be used for preheat.

This is an easy fix for myself as I will just use a timed outlet to achieve the same thing. Anyone with off peak electricity and that intends to preheat should check this out. Do the 16A charge points allow a charging schedule or is it entirely down to the car

Kind regards,
Mark

I'm new to this PHEV game so I'll apologise in advance...

I'm now confused...

What are we saying - when remote heating is set (no charge settings) and the car is connected to the mains for charging the 'heater' draws power from the drive battery or from the mains: which?

I should clarify what I said.

My comments re the pre-heating were based on the assumption that the charge timer has been set and operating to charge during off peak hours....say between midnight and 0700. Obviously if the charge commences at midnight it should have completed long before 0700. If you manually select preheat using the app after 0700 the car will heat but won't take power from the charging circuit because it is outside the preselected charging time and you have to cancel the charge timer either using the app or if you have the key fob handy press the 'cancel charge timer' button on the end edge of the fob and the car will take as much power as your charger setup can allow to contribute to the heating current requirement.

In the above example I have no experience of asking for preheat before 0700 as to be retired and contemplating leaving the house at that hour in the winter is inconceivable but logic might suggest that preheat prior to 0700 would take power from the mains up to 0700 then terminate the charger source of power. So again logic might suggest setting the charge timer to terminate somewhat later than 0700 on the basis that if you want to have a lie in on a Saturday you don't have to mess around with the timers and if you're not going out it'll cost you nothing anyway as the charge itself finished hours ago.

Now I'm wondering why I haven't done that myself....Dooooooh!

JimB

Claymore said:
If you want to use pre heat from the mains use the mobile phone app from the bedroom window like I do;

First cancel the charge timer.

Second - activate your previously programmed heating / demisting / air-conditioning mode for the previously set period of time.

Charger clunks and the job, as they say, is a good un.

What's the problem?

JimB

avensys said:
Hi All,

Kind regards,
Mark

Back