Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brake light behaviour
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:33 am 

I find it rather nice to cruse arround in B5 when it is alot of lights and traffic, and just controll the speed with one foot, my concern is how my brake lights behave
If i drive in 30km/h with the pedal for even on Power( no Arrow from, or too, the Wheels) will my brake lights be lit? or how do they behave in B5?

Post subject: Re: Brake light behaviour
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:04 am 

Hej Martin, I really enjoy driving in the city with the 1 pedal approach too. :-) It is so convenient. Now, on my -14 there is no break light support in B5 mode. I have seen in this forum some comments about brake light support in B5 mode on -16 models.

Here: viewtopic.php?p=23543#p23543
Quote:
According to Mitsubishi the brake lights only come on when in B4 at speeds of 81mph and above and when in B5 at speeds of 25mph and above, so they will not be on all the time in slow moving traffic.

So, according to this info brake lights are on from 40km/h and above in B5 mode. However your questions is still valid. Is it speed only that determines the behaviour of the brake lights in B4 and B5 modes?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:59 am 

Someone who would hit you in the rear in B5 would also be hitting big-engined cars in 1st gear when the driver lifts his foot off.

Posts in bold green are made as a moderator. All other posts are just my private opinion as a member.

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
Sidebars
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:27 am 

I understand it is a new feature on only the MY16 model.
previous models had no brake light operation on any regen force as far as I am aware (not in the U.K. anyway. Other markets may differ.)

All contentious comments should be taken with a pinch of salt!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:06 am 

Sounds like a test is the only way to get the answer, I will pull my trailer, with a mirror on it so i can see the brake lights, and i will tell you the result, but it will take a week.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:41 pm 

Carnut wrote:
I understand it is a new feature on only the MY16 model.
previous models had no brake light operation on any regen force as far as I am aware (not in the U.K. anyway. Other markets may differ.)

The Australian ones do not activate the brake lights if paddling but the lights do come on when ACC slows the car. Lights seem to come on around the equivalent of B3 braking.

NAPpy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:05 am 

whether they activate or not I think its good practice to check for tailgaters anyway. Us old schoolers were taught to slow down using the gears (I guess from the drum brake era?).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:37 am 

Mitssupplier wrote:
whether they activate or not I think its good practice to check for tailgaters anyway. Us old schoolers were taught to slow down using the gears (I guess from the drum brake era?).

I have a licence to drive a minibus up to 12 seats but was going to be driving school children on a school trip so had to do a (UK) council driving course. During the driving part of the test I changed down gears approaching a junction, arriving at the stop light in second gear, handbrake on and into neutral. I was told that if I did that again, they would fail me!

Apparently they now want you to approach a junction without changing down, stop and then select the low gear to pull away. I challenged this as I said approaching a junction or roundabout I would be in the wrong gear if the way ahead cleared. They said, "do it again and they would fail me". Crazy, so I did what they wanted, then drove as I was taught 40+ years ago after I had my council approved driving certificate. When I asked the students how they were taught to drive they said the same way, approach in the gear you are in and sort it out at the junction. To me, that probably explains why there are so many rear-end collisions (exacerbated by people driving too close).

Jeff, driving for over 40 years, no accidents, one speeding ticket and paying 50p a day for fully comprehensive insurance. Go figure.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:14 pm 

My daughter was told that changing down a gear was only used to go faster!
No tuition was given about controlling the car going down steep hills just 'use the brakes'! :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:25 pm 

Gaaaaawd! The country / world is going /has already gone .....to hell in a hand cart!

Mind you, now that I think about it...it's helluva inconvenient to be bu**er*ing around controlling the car when you've better things to do like updating feacesbook and the like.

:cry:

JimB

'16 GX4H, Orient Red, Gen 3 Glasscoat, Bonnet Lettering, Chrome Pack, Protection Pack, Front and Rear Sensors.