Driving light options

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jaapv said:
AFAIK the DRLs are supposed to switch off automatically when the lights are switched on.

Nice post Gwatpe, in normal running, without mods, the car runs with DRL's until the main side/ head lights are switched on, either manually or automatically. The car will switch off the DRL's when this happens. So having something like "Angel Eyes" requires lighting to be linked to the DRL circuit to ensure it switches off when main lights are on, that does not stop you also wiring your mod to the front fog feed or even high beam, as you are required to switch these off when oncoming drivers are approaching! :eek:

Most of the upmarket European cars sold in AUS seem to have the DRL in a place that is in close proximity to the main lights, and it difficult to tell if they are OFF at night. The only place my PHEV could have a DRL is low to the ground in the place with the fog lamps. Very noticeable as away from the normal head lamps.

I have placed a light sensor just under the gap between the bonnet and the front side panel. I can test the operation of the DRL at night, by placing my hand in front of the main lamp and redirecting some light upwards towards the sensor and the DRL will light up. Took a bit to get the sensitivity right, but works well now. I looked at using a changeover relay with the normal light circuits, but wanted to have minimal mods to the PHEV wiring, so a separate cct was the best option.

If I have the headlamps ON in the day, then the DRL are also ON. My DRL only turn OFF after it is dark. When Volvo first started to offer a driving running light, I think they used just the parking lights. Lot more variants now with most manufacturers providing some options. We never had a factory option for 2014 or 2015 plate PHEV. 2016 has a DRL option here now.

They used to be called DRIVE running lights. The lights would be ON when the car was running, as opposed to a more complicated system we see now on cars. JEEP turn OFF the white LED and flash a yellow when indicating, on many models.

All this talk of DRL has put a curse on mine. :evil:

4 days ago one of my LED replacement bulbs started flickering (I could see it reflected in the windows of the house opposite when I started up in the morning) so I put the standard bulb back in temporarily.

Yesterday the same happened on the other side. Fortunately replacements had arrived so back to full LED's again.

The old ones lasted 25,000 miles, not brilliant. On post mortem they had not burned out and the driver circuit was working OK, they had simply started to physically fall apart and the internal connections were breaking. I guess they must have a hard life down there on the car.

A new set cost £12 so I can live with that.

Hi, any chance of more details on how you attached the support bar please? Just tried one that fits straight on behind the number plate, hah, and found it as flimsy as hell. How did you connect to the plate behind the bumper? Extensions? If I can't figure this out, will have to go for a nudge bar, but that is way more than I can spend at the moment.

Back