Tow bar questions?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some more images of the Witter CL114 fitted as requested by maplecottage.

20170107_143734.jpg

20170107_144010.jpg

More views now almost a year on, and she's cold, wet & dirty.....................

20171210_152324.jpg

20171210_152334.jpg

20171210_152343.jpg

20171210_152349.jpg

The only reason for fitting was to carry bicycles.
I have yet to bash my shins on it.

Brand new Witter CL114AU £59 delivered
Genuine Mitsubishi 7 pin wiring kit (Manufactured by Right Connections) £25.00 delivered

MrPastry said:
20170107_140356.jpg

With bar & impact beam refitted.
20170107_141226.jpg

Interesting, just had a towbar fitted today and the fitter left the impact beam off. Seemed strange but I have found a manufacturers installation instructions that state this is the case. Anyone else had the same ?

MrPastry said:
Hi Phil.

Which towbar did you have fitted?

It's a Tow-Trust tow bar. The instructions are on their website and yes the impact bar is not refitted!!

Yes the Tow Trust bar does instruct to remove the impact beam and not replace it - I think its due to the shape of the tow bar. However the Witter bar ( demountable type) , which I believe is the one used as a Mitsubishi accessory or of course can be bought and fitted by an independent fitter - needs the impact beam to be removed for fitting purposes but is actually refitted once the towbar is attached.

I have been following the information here to install a Witter tow bar (okay) and a dedicated wiring kit from PF Jones (frustrating!). I need to connect 2 power cables to the battery and after removing the red cover from the positive terminals I do not know which connector is best to use. I could connect to the actual battery post if I drill out the wiring kit connectors (hmmm?) or I could connect to one of the fused nut/bolts which look a little easier but I am not sure if this is ok. What have others done on your installs? Thanks

I did it as pictured in the instructions. From memory you don't use the actual battery clamp bolt but a bolt that's on the offside of the whole block that connects to the battery.

Can anyone help me please? I bought a genuine wiring kit and plugged it all in following the instructions but the parking sensors are not disabled in reverse which was not mentioned anywhere in the instructions. I bought this for my 2016 MY: https://www.glynhopkinpartsonline.co.uk/products/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-wiring-kit-13-pin-2016my-mz314897

Thanks,
Nick

Aha!

That is a feature of the trailer socket.

You need a socket which opens a switch when the hatch is opened to insert a trailer plug.

I'm not sure that it is. I know that there are sockets that have a switch in the lid, but that's mostly for turning off the fog lights as far as I understand.

The feature for the vehicle to recognise that it has a 'trailer' attached is for its plug to have a link between pins 12 and 13 to ground pin 12 when something is plugged in so that the vehicle loom can recognise it. It could be that my bike carrier does not have that link, I will check at the earliest opportunity.

I know for sure that the tow bar loom interrupts the rear sensor loom as there are 2 connectors that go in between the original body connector and the bumper connector, so the feature ought to be there. A couple of times that I have been into Reverse the sensors have been automatically disabled so perhaps I just have an intermittent contact somewhere.

Back