Tow bar questions?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duplo

Has anyone fitted a non detachable swan neck tow bar? And if so does it interfere with the reversing sensors at all?

For those who have fitted their own, was the bumper removal easy enough?

Thanks!

Bumper is easy to remove, lights on the other hand were a nightmare, I could not grip them to pull them forward

I fitted a detachable so can't help with the other question but I would assume the reversing sensors may pick them up as the wiring kit as the option to switch them off when the electrical connection is made

Thanks, doubt I'll be using it for towing just a bike rack so unsure whether I will do the electrics straight away.

Yup .. bumper is very easy to remove , just a few bolts & a few clips & I did it without removing rear lights ;)
I fitted a witter removable swan neck with dedicated electrics all pretty straight forward :D

Did you notice if the tow ball sets off the rear sensors when you don't have a trailer attached?

I had dealer fitted towbar when I ordered my 3h with reversing sensors. It doesn't interfere with them.

Thanks, just need to pluck up enough courage to remove the rear bumper now.

duplo said:
enough courage to remove the rear bumper now.
Removing the rear bumper is very easy, installing the wiring harness (if you need it) is the real challenge.

All done, was easy enough after all. It was a faff marking and disconnecting all the reversing sensors in the bumper but apart from that was fine.

Anyone have any photos or tips to removing the bumper.

I am thinking of doing my tow bar this weekend.

Got this done in a few hours on Saturday - The bar was really easy to fit, the electrics on the other hand...

I have one question for people with the camera system and a tow bar... the red line that looks like a centre line doesn't line up with the tow bar?

I think the red line denotes the distance where the rear door can still be opened safely without hitting anything. The lines are adjustable via the MMCS setting (hidden menu, I think it's "settings" and "map" buttons pressed simultaneously) a search will find it if that doesn't work.

I am having an "at home" install done week after next, Westfalia detachable swan neck towbar with 13pin universal wiring using a bypass relay for £448.00 including vat. A Mitsubishi wiring kit is £50 dearer. Hopefully, I will be able to take some photos if the fitter is willing.

On the red line, in the middle it has another line going vertically - I guessed this was the centre line - but its not in line with the tow bar on mine?

I have looked in the hidden menus but cant find the thing about moving the lines?

I have gone for the dedicated specific wiring as I was told that using a universal kit would invalidate the warranty due to cutting into the wiring, although you still have to cut into it with the dedicated it I had to disable the rear fog light.

Weird, I just looked on mine - Settings+Map; Camera Settings. When I press it, I get two yellow vertical lines (signifying left and right car boundaries) and a horizontal red line but no central mark line as you describe. Maybe a later version of the software?

StevePHEV said:
On the red line, in the middle it has another line going vertically - I guessed this was the centre line - but its not in line with the tow bar on mine?

I have looked in the hidden menus but cant find the thing about moving the lines?

I have gone for the dedicated specific wiring as I was told that using a universal kit would invalidate the warranty due to cutting into the wiring, although you still have to cut into it with the dedicated it I had to disable the rear fog light.

Do you have a link to the kit you bought?

This is the electrics I used: http://www.pfjones.co.uk/mitsubishi-outlander-3-13-pin-dedicated-wiring-kit-oct-2012-on-29130514rc.html

This is the tow bar I used: http://www.pfjones.co.uk/mitsubishi-outlander-sep-2012-on-witter-flange-tow-bar.html

All in I bet it was 4 hours with a few breaks - The electrics was the hardest part in the end.

I fitted a Witter CL114b with 7 pin vehicle specific wiring kit recently.
The wiring kit came boxed as a Genuine Mitsubishi part SP042004 . It was manufactured by Right Connections.

Thought I'd have a go at posting some images that might be of interest to someone.

Following the guide posted above, it was quite quick to remove the bumper. I left the lights in place.
I did loosen the light fixing screws to make it easier to wiggle the bumper off.
20170107_132415.jpg

20170107_132358.jpg

20170107_132407.jpg

Before starting work.
20170107_1324122.jpg

With bar fitted.
20170107_140356.jpg

With bar & impact beam refitted.
20170107_141226.jpg

Minimal distortion without cutting the bumper.
20170107_143809.jpg

Underneath view.
20170107_143828.jpg

The wiring kit was quite easy to fit. No drilling required as there's already a hole in the floorpan.
I also chose not to cut the cars fog light cable for the "fog cut off" feature as I only really want to carry our bicycles mounted on the towbar.

I'll try & upload some more images when I get a chance.

normal_20160914_1839541122.jpg

20160914_183954.jpg

20160914_184000.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600_%281%29.jpg

Back