GPS maps update

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwatpe

Have had the occasional error reading map come up with the GPS.

Found the GPS data CD and went to the manual to see about making a new SD card.

Seems like the dealer has to use the MUT3 computer to make a new workable SD card. The CD is just an ornament for the glove compartment.

Will be requesting a spare, just in case the errors return.

GPS was updated today.

Seems like this is an MMCS update. The charge cost screen is now different again with the maximum cost now set at $5.00 per day. All my previous data is now full screen and useless. Looks like MMC don't have electronic engineers who are able to make the system smart enough to auto scale the data.

As a warning, don't damage the MMCS maps SD card. Was quoted $A500.00 for a replacement SDcard. Custom format apparently for MMC. So far no evidence of any map changes. No updated charging points either. Was a free update so maybe we get what we pay for.

New map SD cards are available from Navteq for £159 over her via the below:

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=T1000-22482%40Navteq-NavteqEurope&JumpTo=OfferList&

I note in the instructions that you put this in the user SD slot and then tell the system to update ( not tried it myself !!) so guess the MMCS card still has to be OK for the update to work...

outofyorkshire said:
New map SD cards are available from Navteq for £159 over her via the below:

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=T1000-22482%40Navteq-NavteqEurope&JumpTo=OfferList&

I note in the instructions that you put this in the user SD slot and then tell the system to update ( not tried it myself !!) so guess the MMCS card still has to be OK for the update to work...

Before anyone rushes to hand over their hard earned cash, talk to Mitsubishi first! I asked the dealer about this when I first collected the car and was told that updates are free while the car is on warranty.

After reading Gwatpe's post I thought I would try out the process in the manual for restoring the MMCS. The disc that comes with the car states:

"PROGRAM DISC FOR NAVIGATION SYSTEM" and in small print at the bottom it says "This disc contains backup program data for Map SD card when map data has broken. Do not discard. See Navigation System user's manual for instructions."

The MMCS manual says you can use an audio SD card to load the file "loading.kwi" onto and from that you assume that everything will be ok.

Got a new SD card - copied the file (which was the only thing on the disc) put it in the system and got a "cannot retrieve map data from disc" message. Cycled the power button - same message but the system will let you access all (?) of the other MMCS data screens by pressing the info/settings buttons to take you away from the blank screen.

I thought that the best bet would be to make a backup of the Map disc just in case, but a PC cannot read it. So it appears that the CD is not a backup of the MMCS and navigation functions, just the essentials to get you to a dealer if the disc gets corrupted. Bring back the days when we used spanners to fix things!

I have never seen anywhere of a button or message to access a process to update the maps.

The CD should only need to be inserted into the slot, with a blank SD card in the maps slot and a new card should then be automatically be made. Having to have the dealer perform a MUT3 upgrade and an hour of dealer time is BS. The maps are free updates, so why the unnecessary MMC control of the process and why bother with a CD.

The process is described after the troubleshooting section in the MMCS manual under "If the system does not start up". The file on the CD has to be copied on a PC not through the MMCS. At least in the UK version anyway. At least I now have an emergency back up disc that will at least keep the car functioning - even if I had to live without maps for a while, so not a complete waste of effort.

For those interested, this is on page 190 of the AUS shipped MMCS manual.

Seems like the catch is audio SD card. I did all, but use an AudioSD card, whatever that is. Did find a 256MB one, and maybe audio is just FAT16 format ????

Did a Google search andhere is a snippet from 2009 from a forum

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2266707?tstart=0

Most of the Player who built with SD Card slot will only reganise FAT16 but nowadays all formated to FAT32 automatically...So, Once Formated to FAT16 it'll work. FAT16 will only posible to Format if the Card capacity is below 2GB.

For USB Pendrive, It work on both FAT32 & FAT16.

will have to check and confirm for myself.

On page 124 of the AUS MMCS manual, it states,

Update the Map Database
You can perform an update of the map database with an SD card

"NOTE"

* For Details, please consult your Mitsubishi Motors Dealer

Not real useful

Have to find an older computer to be able to format SDcard to FAT16. Win10 only allows FAT32.

gwatpe said:
On page 124 of the AUS MMCS manual, it states,

Update the Map Database
You can perform an update of the map database with an SD card

"NOTE"

* For Details, please consult your Mitsubishi Motors Dealer

Not real useful

Have to find an older computer to be able to format SDcard to FAT16. Win10 only allows FAT32.

Waiting for my first Outlander but wonder if you can format an SD card in the Outlander's unit.

If yes it will format in the configuration it prefers.

Back