Essential Bit Of Kit

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverfuel

A couple of months ago I got a nail in my tyre, just on the edge of the tread, which my local tyre centre refused to patch. I ended up getting a tyre through my local Mitsubishi Dealer, but it cost me £165 :shock:

I kept the old tyre as a spare and bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/STOP-POCKET...3577&sr=8-1&keywords=stop+and+go+tyre+plugger

I fixed the old tyre myself to keep as a spare, for long journeys etc. I put the kit in my glovebox and forgot about it, until today.

An elderly lady was pulled up on a garage forecourt, in a state of distress, knelt on the ground looking at her tyre. She had a nail straight through the tread and was worrying about how she would change her wheel to one of those space saving things in the boot. I offered to help out and used the kit to plug her tyre and inflated it back up to pressure with the Phev's inflator. Took about 4 mins and didn't need to take the wheel off. Didn't even get my hands dirty.

She offered me a tenner to get myself a drink, which I politely refused. I was just glad to help, glad it wasn't me this time and glad I have such a handy kit in the car - best £30 I have ever spent!

Been using those things (and sticky strings) on my motorbike for years. Never thought about using them on the PHEV but might just stick a packet in the glovebox, now you mention it. Ta.

Looks good - just ordered one. But don't buy from Amazon - works out expensive - there are several cheaper places on the web...

Titan said:
Been using those things (and sticky strings) on my motorbike for years. Never thought about using them on the PHEV but might just stick a packet in the glovebox, now you mention it. Ta.

Much easier than sticky string, makes a lovely neat job and you don't need to let all the air out of the tyre. You do need something to pull the nail out with though, so I stuck an old pair of snipe nosed pliers in the bag with the kit.

Titan said:

Same here, we used to do a lot of outback travel and carry two spares, but actually have always been able to fix flats with one of those plugs. The last one was still in the tyre when it was finally worn out, that was 4 years later and it never leaked!

Having said that, I had a nail stuck in my PHEV in the first week of owning it! As I was at home when I noticed it, I just pumped it up with the supplied compressor (which works very well) and took it to my local tyre place to have it fixed.

Needless to say, I now carry the plugs and the tools.

I have one of those, keep it in the boot, but I believe that it is not road legal in the UK to use one.

raymie said:
I have one of those, keep it in the boot, but I believe that it is not road legal in the UK to use one.

There are lots of reviews that say these things have been used until the tyre has worn out - especially on motorbikes - but if it is only a "get you back to civilisation" repair, then it has to be far better than using the gunk supplied with the car, which could possibly cost you a new tyre and TPMS unit. ;)

I've ordered a set.

Must remember to transfer it to the Suzuki Burgman if and when that ever gets out of the garage.

Much better option that trying to pump that goo into the tyre and, as Neverfuel points out, the consequences of so doing.

JimB

Back