Charging cable - spiral or straight?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMuscles

Hi all, thanks for your advice.

I think I need to buy two cables - one to keep at home inside my garage where I will have a Charge Master point fitted at the end of the month, and the other to keep in the PHEV while I am out and about.

This looks a good place to buy the cables: https://evconnectors.com/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=j1772&product_id=123

But I am unsure whether to go straight or spiral, and also the length - I am wondering if it is better to have a 10 meter cable to keep in the car, and just 3 at home since it will be next to the charging point.

Please let me know your experience, and thank you!

The spiral one is a bit hard to stow in the car, but very practical in the garage. I have a 6 meter one in the car, and it is OK - just. But these things are expensive, is one cable for both purposes not sufficient?

Thanks. My rationale for two cables is to have one permanently attached to my home charge point for convenience so as not to worry about leaving the house and forgetting to have a cable in the car.

So it sounds like spiral for home and a straight cable to keep in the car, thank you!

If the charging point is in your garage and not outside you may need the straight one so that it can pass under the door. The curly ones do take up a bit more space, especially the 32 A version that I have. I chose this so that it keeps it off the ground. For my daily commute I just put it behind the driver's seat.
Do you need to have a Type 1 to Type 2 cable for when you are travelling around. The fast Chedamo charging points have tethered cables.

Of course a spiral cable will spray the electricity into all the hidden corners of the battery, as opposed to a straight one that will just pour it in, so your battery will accept more charge.

Before you go buying two cables, have you done enough research on the availability and cost of charging on the road? ChaDeMo charging points - which can recharge you in 20 minutes - have cables attached and do not need your own cable. An increasing number of public chargers are now requiring a payment and, given the short EV range of a PHEV, people are finding that they often work out more expensive that petrol. A second cable is going to cost you a hundred pounds or more - research the availability of public charging points on your normal routes to verify that you will get your money's worth out of it.

jaapv said:
Of course a spiral cable will spray the electricity into all the hidden corners of the battery, as opposed to a straight one that will just pour it in, so your battery will accept more charge.

But doesn't the spiral one charge more slowly as the electrons have to slow down to negotiate the twists in the cable, whereas for the straight cable they flow through at top speed?

Oh no, the kinetic energy of the electrons increases as the radius of the spiral increases! The best way to charge your PHEV is using a Cyclotron.

I went with a 7m spiral type 2 cable and without it I wouldn't have driven over 1000km without using any petrol.
All public chargers at malls, food courts etc. here in Sweden have type 2 outlets.

img-5184.jpg

The 7m is a bit heavy but very often EV parking spots are occupied by regular cars so sometimes I have to park a bit away from the actual spot and then 7m is great. :)

And for me the discussion about if a cable is worth it or not is irrelevant. I got the PHEV for environmental reasons. I'm willing to spend money to help save the planet...

I bought mine second hand, for all of £50. Loads of people at end of lease are giving these up, might find a bargain on gumtree.

Back