new to forum and looking at PHEV with EV major fault

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbour

I am in the market to buy a PHEV and saw a local vehicle being sold for repairs only that says the EV light comes on and the vehicle will only drive in limp mode if at all. Considerably less than a working vehicle of the same age and wondered if there were some obvious things i could check if i go to look at it or should i just not bother due to potential costs to investigate/repair.

Also we have solar power and was looking to charge off this source - Should i install a wall charger (if so which one) or just use the 13 amp plug in charger cable supplied with the vehicle?

Thanks for your help

Personally I'd steer clear of a PHEV with a fault as you describe. You have to ask yourself, if it's an easy fix, why hasn't it been done?

As for charging, the supplied box is fine for overnight charging, it takes about 5½ hours. A wall charger takes about 3¼ hours. That's the only difference. If you use solar panels the lower amperage of the supplied charger might be a better option. Depends what power you can gather from your panels, and for how long, I suppose.

There's a current recall process in place for a software update and spark plug change, maybe this is the cause of the fault showing? Perhaps check out the reg no. or vin with Mitsubishi?

The first cars sold in the UK are only just coming out of their 3 year warranty, if that's where you are located.

Regulo said:
Personally I'd steer clear of a PHEV with a fault as you describe. You have to ask yourself, if it's an easy fix, why hasn't it been done?

I doubt it is a "difficult fix", but it certainly could be an expensive one!

This is a very strange story. The car is likely to be under guarantee and even if not, for such a fault customer protection laws would apply. If it has been maintained according to the Mitsubishi maintenance scheme.
Unless you are one of those persons who unfailingly buys winning lottery tickets I would not touch this one with a barge pole.

Tipper said:
There's a current recall process in place for a software update and spark plug change, maybe this is the cause of the fault showing? Perhaps check out the reg no. or vin with Mitsubishi?

The first cars sold in the UK are only just coming out of their 3 year warranty, if that's where you are located.
Yes, but why has the car not been updated or fixed by a dealer - which should be free .before selling it at a normal price?

Harbour said:
I am in the market to buy a PHEV and saw a local vehicle being sold for repairs only that says the EV light comes on and the vehicle will only drive in limp mode if at all. Considerably less than a working vehicle of the same age and wondered if there were some obvious things i could check if i go to look at it or should i just not bother due to potential costs to investigate/repair.

Also we have solar power and was looking to charge off this source - Should i install a wall charger (if so which one) or just use the 13 amp plug in charger cable supplied with the vehicle?

Thanks for your help

There are a lot of high mileage Outlander PHEV that cost ~ 15k EUR (possibly even less now)

I would look for a well maintained, problem free, high mileage PHEV vs a one with problems

The Outlander PHEV based on what I can see, it is a very reliable car, designed in conservative way for last over 300.000 km

I got mine with 120.000km on the clock, and it is hard to guess it had so many km based on the status of the car.

Back