Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Outlander PHEV beep relief
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:08 pm 

2013 PHEV G model Japanese import right hand drive, New Zealand.

Anyone know how to disable the LDW beeping? Drives me mad. There is the option to turn it off but it recycles to on every time I start again (same with the regeneration paddles which I want to leave on 5 but reset to 3 every time).

Seen a video (by Serge Chubinsky) on a different model but that doesn't work with mine. Maybe disconnect or muffle the beeper? Location of beeper?

<< Just found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTisolnQ5eM - covering the beeper with tape - which works well >>

Thanks.

Still want to permanently disable the LDW sound...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:38 am 

The UK manual states that pressing the button for 6 seconds permanently turns it off. Another 6-second press will reinstate it

You may have speed, but I have momentum...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:08 pm 

Tried that (6 seconds press), didn't work.
Tried all sorts of combinations of holding button in while turning off etc. No joy.

Maybe I could buy a second hand circuit board and someone could try reprogramming it?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:52 am 

Anybody had a look at the boot/trunk door to see if the beeps can be disabled there fo opening and closing?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:27 am 

EchoVictor wrote:
Anybody had a look at the boot/trunk door to see if the beeps can be disabled there fo opening and closing?

Yes, it was quite easy to open up the inner cladding on the left side and to put some packing tape over the beeper. The sound level is far much better now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:58 am 

A lump of 'Blutac' on the beeper works well for quietening noisy beepers. I've used it on reversing sensor beepers on several cars.
However I'm now used to all the PHEV beeps and no longer notice them anymore...which probably means I would no longer notice a real warning beep!

BTW when on ACC (adaptive cruise control) why does it beep when the road is clear in front but not when you come up behind another vehicle? Seems illogical to me. :?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:36 pm 

ClasseClas wrote:
EchoVictor wrote:

Yes, it was quite easy to open up the inner cladding on the left side and to put some packing tape over the beeper. The sound level is far much better now.

Many thanks. I’ll give it a go

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:22 am 

Just bought a PHEV outlander yesterday. Took me all of 10 minutes to go crazy from all the beeps.

I realized that the only way to silence the beeps is dismantle some dash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTisolnQ5eM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gRzh7KH3zc

Left hand drive 2014 PHEV model:

For dismantle help, I wrapped some duct tape over a blunt kitchen knife. Stick this to the edges of the panels and twist carefully to remove the dash panels.

1. first pry off the small panel to the left of the steering wheel. It is attached with 5 or 6 clips
2. next pry off the center panel, which wraps around the stereo and center climate vent. It is attached with 10 - 12 clips
3. next pry off the panel that is center over the steering wheel. It includes the top of the instrument cluster too. about 10 clips

in all of the above, no need to disconnect any wiring.

4. next, there is a one single screw holding the top of the instrument cluster. Unscrew this screw.
5. the instrument cluster is then held on by two clips in the bottom part of the cluster. Unclip these and the cluster can be removed.

this is where you need to disconnect one connector - a white connector that attaches to the instrument cluster (where is speedo, the display, and the power meter). AFter you disconnect this, the whole cluster can be removed.

you can now see the "king of beeps" speaker at the back of the unit. But still some more dismantle is needed.

6. next you need to unclip the front of the instrument cluster by unclipping about 10 black clips.

At this point your two needles, speedo and the power meter are exposed. Be careful not to break them!

7. Next you need to unclip about 6 white clips to access the circuit board.
After this step, the circuit board is loose, be careful not to drop it.

Now you have good access to cover the black speaker (***) hole. I used a silicone bump stop that is designed for kitchen cabinets "soft close"+ two or three layers of duct tape.

I also added two more layers of duct tape to the speaker hole in the white cover.

Reassemble everything in reverse order.

Result: the beeps are *just* barely audible while the vehicle is stationary. The LDW beep is audible in 60mph / 100kmh speed, since it has multiple beeps. But the most annoying beep of all, the single beep when ACC lost the vehicle in front, because it is only a single beep, it is no longer noticeable.

Success!! Feel like a winner now!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:38 am 

EchoVictor wrote:
You can prevent the beep by opening with the car locked and using the button on the lid, and closing it manually.

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:41 am 

mcgraw wrote:
2013 PHEV G model Japanese import right hand drive, New Zealand.

Anyone know how to disable the LDW beeping? Drives me mad. There is the option to turn it off but it recycles to on every time I start again (same with the regeneration paddles which I want to leave on 5 but reset to 3 every time).

Seen a video (by Serge Chubinsky) on a different model but that doesn't work with mine. Maybe disconnect or muffle the beeper? Location of beeper?

Thanks.

Still want to permanently disable the LDW sound...

The real reason for the LDW beeps is sloppy driving. If you stay in lane and use your indicators it will never beep. It took the car a week to train me out of my bad driving habits.

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates