extra batteries

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickmccroad

Salut tout le monde

Je suis depuis un certain temps ce forum et je me permet de créer ce post car j’aimerai modifier un peu mon outlander
Je souhaiterai faire le meme genre de modif que certain ont fait sur les prius, c’est a dire rajouter une batterie dans le coffret en parallele de la batterie de 12kw/h

Je pense à mettre 6 de ces batteries en serie
6x13s=78s sous une tension maximum de 4,20v soit 327,60v chargé à 100%
Le phev lui est en 80s sous une tension maximum de 4,10v soit 328v
Le pac du phev fait 12kw/h mais que 70% est utilisable soit 8,40kw/h
Mon outlander à 80000 kms et donc la batterie donc environ 7kw/h sur une charge
La cela me permettrai de rajouter 8,6kw/h pour un prix de 3174 dollards us
Le chargeur est compris. Cela fera pour la charge 6 chargeurs de 273w soit un total de 1638w
Pour ceci un cable supplémentaire en 2,5mm2 avec une prise standard 16a pour charger les 6 batteries. Il faudra donc 2 prises 16A pour charger les 2 batteries et ce en 5h

Il me faudra savoir ou me connecter sur le véhicule?
Quel mode de connexion utiliser?
Relais avec intérupteur au tableau de bord?
Diode anti retour?

Ques que vous en pensez?

Hello everyone
I am for a while this forum and I allow myself to create this post because I would like to modify a little my outlander
I wish to do the same kind of modif that some have done on the prius, ie add a battery in the box parallel battery 12kw / h
I think to put 6 of these batteries in series
6x13s = 78s at a maximum voltage of 4,20v or 327,60v loaded at 100%
The phev is in 80s under a maximum voltage of 4.10v or 328v
The pac of the phev is 12kw / h but that 70% is usable is 8,40kw / h
My outlander at 80000 kms and therefore the battery so about 7kw / h on a charge
This will allow me to add 8.6kw / h for a price of 3174 us dollars
The charger is included. This will do for charging 6 chargers of 273w ie a total of 1638w
For this an extra 2.5mm2 cable with a standard 16a plug to charge the 6 batteries. It will therefore take 2 16A to charge the 2 batteries and this in 5h
Will I need to know or connect to the vehicle?
Which mode of connection to use?
Relay with switch at the dashboard?
Diode anti return?

Mickmccroad said:
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/715-high-power-48v30ah-lipo-battery-pack-battery.html

Interesting battery pack .. maybe not so cheap ... especially to import it from US to EU

I have been "studing" the way to add a battery in parallel to the main one.

Apparently on the back of the car there is a plug that can be used. This is the plug that is normally used for provide power to the electric heater.
Somebody here in this forum did post a photo of this

The tricky part possibly it is to be able to charge the additional pack while main pack is also charged (so no protection diode) ... in a safe and controlled way ... so I think to have a electric switch and current monitor between additional pack and main battery can be a good idea for avoid some high currents and possible risk of fire on the additional battery pack

Other issue .. is that main battery pack is termal controlled ... the additional one would be exposed to more extreme temperatures .. especially in summer

The pack above are rated for 800 cycle .. that mean it will not last much more then 2 years on a daily used PHEV

elm70 said:
Apparently on the back of the car there is a plug that can be used. This is the plug that is normally used for provide power to the electric heater.
Somebody here in this forum did post a photo of this
It was me, who took this photo. You find it here:
http://myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2777&start=20
I'm still interested in expanding the Outlander battery.
But after some tests with an electric heater I know:
If you let current flow in the wrong moment, the controller of the Outlander will get an "Electrical System Error".
I was thinking about a coupling-device, which prevents this by checking all important informations before connecting the extension battery.
The most safe idea is to connect it only when the speed of the car is not zero.
In this case, it is hard for the car's controller to know if there is some additional current.
So the job is:
  • disconnect when driving speed is zero (or below 10 km/h)
  • disconnect when voltage difference is to high
  • disconnect when car is switched of
This device has to be designed in a way that prevents failure connections.
It needs a strong relay, strong enough for 300 V DC(!) an a few hundred Amps.

For charging the extension, I would change the Type-1 Socket into a Type-2. This the "official standard" here in Germany, and it allows charging with three-phase current. So no extra cable would be needed.

I like to repeat:
THIS IS DANGEROUS. THERE ARE 300V DC.
ONLY OPEN THIS COVER IF YOU ARE REALLY KNOWING WHAT YOU ARE DOING

Paul

Good info Paul

I guess you have been testing by attaching a load to the two pins show in the picture : the two power pins designed for feed the standard electric heater.

So ... apparenlty the car can detect if there is a leak of electric power

I'm wonder if there is a better place where we can connect the additional battery in parallel to the main one

Still ... the main battery get connected and disconnected to the car via a 12V switch ... that is visible in the PHEV battery disassembly done by a YouTuber ... ideally we should intercept that signal for know when to "join" the main battery with the secondary one.

I did not got which system you have in mind for charge the additional pack.

PS: Looking around .. I find this interesting picture
s-l1600knjfj.jpg

I bet these two power line are the input from the battery for the same module you have in your picture

Back