Resonated exhaust tip

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superflan

Hi,

In an attempt to make the PHEV sound a subtle nicer when ICE is running, I’m looking to fit a resonated exhaust tip at the end of the OEM muffler. I guess because the exit is angled down I’ll have to make a custom inlet to make the resonated tip parallel to the ground?

The PHEV motor often runs at revs totally unrelated to road speed, so you'd often just get a constant drone - not particularly inspiring! And one of the good things abut the car is how quiet it is most of the time: why ruin it? ;)

I like a little bit of fantasy and I’m used to CVT equipped vehicles.

When the ICE kicks in, I’m mostly on charge mode, and the engine RPM is then related to the pedal position when going low speed (less than 65kph), series hybrid. I use this mode mostly when climbing twisties. As soon as it goes past 65kph (in charge mode), my PHEV switches to parallel, so revs drops and are linked to vehicle speed.

If anything I find the exhaust note too intrusive, so I would never enhance it. I think that the main reason is the resonating of that long pipe from engine to muffler. A double muffler system would be better IMO.

Your exhaust pipe goes straight to the backbox from the manifold? I’ll try to have a look at mine because it seems to make less noise than a Prius at full throttle

Back