Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Free reverse led
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:16 am 

Like many others on here I find the reverse light a bit dim so I ordered two off a Chinese site. meanwhile ordered two led number plate lights they came first and I find they are enough to light up what I need (up to a wall) . I will still install the reverse lights though I like the colour so today the reverse lights tuned up !! Four of them !!! If anybody living near Darlington wants one pm me and you can have one free of charge I will keep a spare so two up for grabs -- pick up only please

Post subject: Re: Free reverse led
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:10 pm 

Jojoxx wrote:
Like many others on here I find the reverse light a bit dim so I ordered two off a Chinese site. meanwhile ordered two led number plate lights they came first and I find they are enough to light up what I need (up to a wall) . I will still install the reverse lights though I like the colour so today the reverse lights tuned up !! Four of them !!! If anybody living near Darlington wants one pm me and you can have one free of charge I will keep a spare so two up for grabs -- pick up only please

Any chance of giving the suppliers link?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:01 am 

Sorry i haven't got the knowledge but they were from fleabay they look like a button from the front if thats any help . As an edit i have just ordered a brighter one yesterday ( due today ) it is a normal looking led a bit like the side lights and rated at 100 w so should be bright enough . I have to back up quite close to a wall to ensure the charging lead reaches so at £10 cheaper than a longer granny lead . If you send me your address i will get the wife to post you them ( all 4 ) as i dont need them .i would rather they get used than binning them

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:21 am 

Jojoxx wrote:
Sorry i haven't got the knowledge but they were from fleabay they look like a button from the front if thats any help . As an edit i have just ordered a brighter one yesterday ( due today ) it is a normal looking led a bit like the side lights and rated at 100 w so should be bright enough . I have to back up quite close to a wall to ensure the charging lead reaches so at £10 cheaper than a longer granny lead . If you send me your address i will get the wife to post you them ( all 4 ) as i dont need them .i would rather they get used than binning them

Thank you for the offer, but for now I am considering other options. I only really need more light when on holiday in remotest Scotland about 6 weeks a year, so rather than a permanent mod I was thinking of a temporary mod using the 13pin tow socket and my tow ball bolt.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:01 am 

I too am looking at a similar solution - attaching to towbar bolts and feeding via the 13 pin socket. A 'standard' towbar mount for a socket would fit opposite the 13 pin socket fitted to mine and would mount the lamp. Have you looked at any lighting units? Just about to start researching but judging from my floodight at home a 10 or 20 Watt LED lamp would be enough for a good lighting level.
I'll let you know if I find anything that looks good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:07 am 

Found this on Ebay - search for 'UK 18/36/72W 1/2PCS LED Car Wrok Light Bar Spot Flood Truck Driving Roof Lamp' (Note Wrok spelling error on listing)- they 18W square ones look as if the mounting can be set up as a 'back fixing'. I have ordered one and will let you know if it works well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:15 am 

thefishnets wrote:
Found this on Ebay - search for 'UK 18/36/72W 1/2PCS LED Car Wrok Light Bar Spot Flood Truck Driving Roof Lamp' (Note Wrok spelling error on listing)- they 18W square ones look as if the mounting can be set up as a 'back fixing'. I have ordered one and will let you know if it works well.

Those look very good, I have a stainless steel bumper protector that I could drill and attach, However, 18 Watts of LED might just be a bit too bright. My new 10w led outside home light is as bright as the previous 150w one! Don't go into reverse in front of a police car!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:36 pm 

If upgrading the bulb to LED you need to check carefully the lamp bulb fitting type as I bought a LED following a recommendation on 'farsebook' which I assumed would fit....it didn't fit my MY14.

You need a 'W21W' type as the the original 21Watt filament bulb is a 'W21W'.

I suppose later models may differ.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:08 am 

The first LEDs i bought that were w21w had 4 wires in grooves (2 each side) then when i got a single bulb it was a w21w too ! only had 2 (one each side on the outer grooves) and didn't work so i had to route the wires to the inner grooves for it to work luckily the wires were long enough . Am i right in thinking there are two types of w21w ? Or was i sent a different bulb in error

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:11 am 

I don't know the details on how W21W bulbs contacts may differ but the first bulb I bought turned out to be a W16W, which, of course, doesn't fit. I'm hoping the replacement which is due today will work. Time will tell!

Edit: Yes it fitted and is much much brighter!