LED High Beam conversion

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAUK

Has anyone successfully fitted an LED high beam conversion to a UK MY16. If you have, can you please advise if the car has since passed an MOT and can you please provide details of, or a link to the product.

DAUK

It might fail the MOT on section 4.1.4c - "Light source and lamp not compatible", as the compliance certification for the headlamp reflector was probably only for halogen bulbs. But it's not entirely clear from the MOT test manual if that's the case. Certainly fitting HID bulbs in headlights that originally had halogens is now explicitly prohibited now.

You can read the MOT test manual on the UK Government website btw:

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class3457/Section-4-Lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment.html#section_4.1

jaapv said:
AFAIK HID lights are legally required to be self-levelling.

Rules not quite that rigid.

I have a Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid that is becoming the wifes once my 4HS arrives in the next couple of weeks (I hope).

It has HIDs on it, but no auto levelling (only manual dial) or washers as they fall under 2000 lumens output.

Anything over that then requires autolevelling and washers.

Agreed though about not putting HIDs in halogen housings. I have done it years ago in a VW bora, but really regretted it as all it did was make people angry at me due to the amount of light that leaks where it shouldnt, and doesnt really gain much. I ended up buying OEM HID units and levelling parts. (car already had washers as part of the winter pack)

Thanks all, I suspected that it would be a non-starter for one reason or another, and that appears to be the case.

DAUK

DAUK said:
Thanks all, I suspected that it would be a non-starter for one reason or another, and that appears to be the case.

DAUK

What I would suggest (my knowledge isnt great yet on mitsubishis) is if your model has halogen lamps, look in to some good quality bulbs from Philips, Osram etc.

In my Golf that is departing me when my Outlander arrives, standard were not very good, I put some Philips in and they were awesome, cant remember what ones, but they did cost £30ish for the pair.

I had the headlight and high beam bulbs upgraded at Halfords for their best quality, highest output Halogen bulbs. The improvement was incredible and no MOT issues.

Before you (or your chosen fitter) put the headlight bulbs in, look at the opening in a mirror once the old bulb is out. Normally bulbs locate with the wide pin at the 12 o’clock or 6 o’clock position, ours don’t, they are at 9 o’clock or 3 o’clock, sorry I can’t remember which.

Hi,

Thanks all. I fitted Osram Night Breakers after I got the car and they are OK, but I was looking to see of they could be improved on easily and legally. They just don't seem to measure up to the LED dipped beam.

DAUK

It's probably more about the beam pattern than the brightness. The standard high beam is fairly wide rather than long distance - which is a reasonable choice for the manufacturer as it provides best coverage of the sides of roads whilst reducing the chance of dazzling oncoming vehicles before you dip them. You could always add a second set of driving lights, connected via a relay to the main beam.

For example on my Mitsubishi Pajero the standard 8" H4 55W halogen headlights aren't bad (in 1991 headlights were big and functional rather than squished to fit the styling of the car!), but to supplement the wide beam pattern I've got a pair of 9" Wipac narrow but long distance pattern lights mounted on the bullbars (yes, stainless steel bullbars were allowed then too). They're also only 55W, but I can see road signs and cats eyes over a kilometer away.

I'm sure I've seen additional lights on Outlanders in countries like Iceland, Greenland and Canada so the mounts must be available easily enough.

Can anybody answer the op ? ie has anybody fitted led high beam lights . Just as a matter of interest really i have a set and if they will indeed fit ok and with no alterations then i will try them and get them validated at my local friendly garage ( non Mitsubishi ) TIA

I`ve replaced the halogens with LEDs for high beams, works like a charm.

Be sure you get good ones, that are not too thick as it will change the pattern.

I`ve got these and can recommend them:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NIGHTEYE-2X-9005-HB3-LED-Headlight-Bulb-Conversion-Kit-8000LM-6500K-Xenon-White/362528624138?hash=item546863ce0a:g:KxIAAOSwFs1cNMK4
They just barely fit within the lid/housing, perfect match. And easy to install, only thing that has to be moved is the washer fluid filler pipe. One little plastic "rivet".

Thanks Roy.

That's sounds promising, but in view of the earlier comments I am a bit concerned about the UK legal and MOT issues that have been highlighted.

DAUK said:
Has anyone successfully fitted an LED high beam conversion to a UK MY16. If you have, can you please advise if the car has since passed an MOT and can you please provide details of, or a link to the product.

DAUK
Looks nobody has made the plunge with led ! I have just got a pair of h3 led given ( i do a lot of night time driving on unlit country roads ) and am going to try them then get them looked at by a mot tester as to their viability/liability i will report back asap

Thanks Jojoxx I look forward with interest to the results, both your views on the results on the road, and the legal/MOT question.

Just got back and apparently h3 are completely different from hb3 when i looked on the box they are clearly marked as hb3 so its back to th drawing board lol anybody interested in a brand new set of H3 hahaha on a good note i watched how the mechanic took the old ones out and i think i can do it myself even with my sausage fingers

This is what I got from Aliexpress.com

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HLXG-60 ... 4c4dKijBPE

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    519.3 KB · Views: 16
Back