Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Collision Repair Costs
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:35 am 

So ... last week a 770 pound elk and my 2018 PHEV had a meeting. I think the elk is most likely in the next world. My car is completely driveable, but is damaged. Needs a new hood, front grill and headlights (the little bracket holding the headlight to the grill snapped).

I'm fine ... just got a little excited. My replacement cost insurance is covering the cost, rental car, etc. So, no problems. But, I was more shocked by the repair estimate than the collision! Over CDN$9000.00. Wow. Hate to think what it'd cost to build a car in a body shop :)

Just wondering if this is just a Canadian thing, or is it the way in the world? I've not been to a shop for this stuff for several decades so I'm probably out of touch.

Post subject: Re: Collision Repair Costs
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:03 pm 

Locally to me there's a compound for damaged insurance write-offs. The cars I see being transported there seem to me to have minimal panel damage that would have been bashed out routinely back in the 60's and 70's. I don't think it's a Canadian thing, just a global problem of cars being so complicated that it's easier for insurers to write them off, and put up everyone's insurance premiums to cover it!

It's the 21st century - so where's my nuclear-powered flying car, then?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:58 pm 

It is simply the way cars are designed nowadays... One headlight unit can cost up to 2000$ for instance.

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:15 pm 

One more thing, now your car worth less (not worthless) because there is a score in the car record. So you can claim the diminish value for it. At least, it is what we do in the USA.

I am still trying to visualize how big is a 770 lb animal...

Tai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:26 pm 

Tai626 wrote:

Tai

A medium size dog weighs about 50 pounds. Think of fifteen of them!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:40 pm 

They don't made it in steel anymore, everything is plastic including the clips & rivets and the hood is designed to be collapsible so $9,000 CDN is reasonable. Any sizable collision will run around 10k easily, especially in the front. I fell sorry for the elk though, Aman!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:20 pm 

Tai626 wrote:
One more thing, now your car worth less (not worthless) because there is a score in the car record. So you can claim the diminish value for it. At least, it is what we do in the USA.

Tai

I talked to the insurance co about the diminished value and, basically, they told me to suck rocks. And, no, in Canada you can't even insure for that. I talked to the dealer and he said it would have an effect, but due to the minor damage it would not be too great.

As to the size of a 700 lb elk ... they are much bigger in the middle of the night when you hit them than they are on the side of road. I hit the brakes and slowed to about 10mph and his belly polished the hood and then he did a somersault off. But, he most likely went into the forest and died.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:25 pm 

yardbird88 wrote:
They don't made it in steel anymore, everything is plastic including the clips & rivets and the hood is designed to be collapsible so $9,000 CDN is reasonable. Any sizable collision will run around 10k easily, especially in the front. I fell sorry for the elk though, Aman!

I had no sympathy at all for the elk. Damn thing should have stayed off the road :)

It was a funny accident ... I was on my way home, middle of the night, and I saw him on the hillside. I had the conversation with myself on what to do ... speed up, swerve or brake. I decided to brake. He decide to run out in front of me.

BTW, in this situation ... do not swerve. If you end up in the ditch or wrapped around a tree it is considered a collision and you will have the higher deductible to fix the damage and you get points on your license and you face increased insurance costs. Hitting the animal head on it is claimed under comprehensive ... lower deductible (only $300 in my case) and no increase in premiums.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:13 am 

It's human reflex to swerve to avoid anything in the road, just as it's impossible not to blink if something's coming straight at your eye. If you don't have time to evaluate your options, that is. Insurance companies seem harsh in some of their decisions.

It's the 21st century - so where's my nuclear-powered flying car, then?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:38 am 

Regulo wrote:
Locally to me there's a compound for damaged insurance write-offs. The cars I see being transported there seem to me to have minimal panel damage that would have been bashed out routinely back in the 60's and 70's. I don't think it's a Canadian thing, just a global problem of cars being so complicated that it's easier for insurers to write them off, and put up everyone's insurance premiums to cover it!

They also used to cut cars in half and weld a good front to a good back and hope it didn't come apart at speed - in the "good ol' days" :lol: