Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Collision Repair Costs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:45 pm 

Took my sad Outlander to the bodyshop today. They gave me a '14 Chevy Sprint for a loaner. Makes one very grateful to drive an Outlander! Hope I don't need to drive this POS for too long :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:42 am 

I lightly nudged a plastic garbage bin that had fallen over next to the car (didn't notice it) and it buckled the front wing to the point where it needed replacement - £2000. The PHEV is a very lightly built car and a small nudge is enough to put in a large dent!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:25 am 

maby wrote:
I lightly nudged a plastic garbage bin that had fallen over next to the car (didn't notice it) and it buckled the front wing to the point where it needed replacement - £2000. The PHEV is a very lightly built car and a small nudge is enough to put in a large dent!

I was talking to my service guy and he said it was an unusual case where ANY body work damage came in under CDN$5000.00. Guess I'm living in the past where a guy would beat out a fender and give it a quick spray :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:06 am 

mellobob wrote:
maby wrote:

I was talking to my service guy and he said it was an unusual case where ANY body work damage came in under CDN$5000.00. Guess I'm living in the past where a guy would beat out a fender and give it a quick spray :)

I'm afraid you are. Labour costs have certainly increased, but I think that a lot of the problem is that cars are just built so lightly these days. I was horrified at how thin the panels on the PHEV are - not much thicker than aluminium foil. Almost any impact will do significant damage. I have been a driver of big, heavy off-roaders all my life - Landrovers, Rangerovers and Landcruisers - they were built to take some punishment. The PHEV is described as a SUV, but if you treat it like a Jeep or Landrover, it will soon look terrible.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:10 am 

I'll post damage estimates when I take my '18 in for repair. In a dark shopping mall parking lot this evening, I clipped a shopping cart that someone had left right against the passenger door. I couldn't see it above the side door, but as I pulled away, the wheel opening grabbed a corner of it, throwing it up against the door. I expected a couple of scratches, but was horrified to see several significant dents in the feature line just below the passenger window, in the chrome trim right at the lower edge of the window, and several more, though smaller, in the fender, just ahead of the mirror mount. That means 2 panels and a trim fix.

I'm already booked next week for my second windshield, thanks to rocks thrown up by the multitude of gravel haulers on my daily route. The first cost me my $200 deductible, and the provincial insurance monopoly paid the balance of an astounding $2188 !! Less than 2 months later, I'll be out another $200, and the ICBC corp another $2188. No wonder our premiums keep going up !

The deductible on body damage is $300, so I've now got that to look forward to.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:20 am 

BCbackroader wrote:
I'll post damage estimates when I take my '18 in for repair. In a dark shopping mall parking lot this evening, I clipped a shopping cart that someone had left right against the passenger door. I couldn't see it above the side door, but as I pulled away, the wheel opening grabbed a corner of it, throwing it up against the door. I expected a couple of scratches, but was horrified to see several significant dents in the feature line just below the passenger window, in the chrome trim right at the lower edge of the window, and several more, though smaller, in the fender, just ahead of the mirror mount. That means 2 panels and a trim fix.

I'm already booked next week for my second windshield, thanks to rocks thrown up by the multitude of gravel haulers on my daily route. The first cost me my $200 deductible, and the provincial insurance monopoly paid the balance of an astounding $2188 !! Less than 2 months later, I'll be out another $200, and the ICBC corp another $2188. No wonder our premiums keep going up !

The deductible on body damage is $300, so I've now got that to look forward to.

Similar circumstances to the damage to mine - in my case a wheelie garbage bin had fallen over on the passenger side of the car and I didn't notice it before I pulled away. A corner of it clipped the wheelarch and buckled the entire front wing. When I grumbled here about the flimseyness of the body panels, someone suggested that they are just decorative, not structural and, hence, can be very light weight. My answer to that is that I'm happy for them to be effectively disposable provided the cost of replacing them is commensurate. As it is, they seem to cost as much to replace as the panels on our Landrover or Landcruiser, but those can withstand a siginficant impact with little more than a scratch!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:00 am 

It's all about dissipating the energy of an impact by allowing panels to crumple and crush on modern vehicles. Far better to absorb the energy than punt a pedestrian down the road, or transfer it to the occupants of another vehicle to cause injury.

My 1991 Pajero has big steel girders and tubes under the bodywork so that too survives minor bumps without much damage, but I'd hate to be in anything hit by it. There's a 5th Gear or Top Gear video somewhere of a Mk2 Pajero hitting a Honda Civic from the side at 30mph - it goes virtually all the way through, pushing the passenger side door right up to the steering wheel. I would imagine the Outlander would only push the door 30cm or so at most in the same test, which would be far more survivable for the occupants.

It does of course mean cars are easily damaged as a result though, and they've not got equivalently easier to repair unfortunately.

(recently departed - 2004 Subaru Outback 3.0Rn (LPG))

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:29 pm 

Ha! My Landrovers were always fully armoured with bull-bars, light guards and side guards - the Civic would have disappeared without a visible scratch on the Landy...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:15 pm 

maby wrote:
Ha! My Landrovers were always fully armoured with bull-bars, light guards and side guards - the Civic would have disappeared without a visible scratch on the Landy...

Which reminds me that I was passed by a PHEV on the M1 last week fitted with full bull bars at the front. I thought from posts long ago that the consensus was that there is nothing substantial on our cars to fix one to - so a front impact will just create more damage, as it pushes back into the engine bay. Alternatively, if it is fixed to some sort of sub frame, the lack of energy absorption just twists the car out of sharp for even more costly repairs. :o

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:35 pm 

greendwarf wrote:
maby wrote:

Which reminds me that I was passed by a PHEV on the M1 last week fitted with full bull bars at the front. I thought from posts long ago that the consensus was that there is nothing substantial on our cars to fix one to - so a front impact will just create more damage, as it pushes back into the engine bay. Alternatively, if it is fixed to some sort of sub frame, the lack of energy absorption just twists the car out of sharp for even more costly repairs. :o

Yeah, but it looks so, so cool :)