Dog pet guard

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh490

Hi so im looking at getting a pet guard for 2016 phev . Anyone any advice. is the one from mitsubishi the most suitable (like that u can still move the back seat).
Car model is GX 5hs PHEV, are the pet guards from 2016 on standard across all vehicles ??
Are there any similar alternatives.
Or does anyone know where i can get /look for secondhand.
thanks in advance :)

We breed and show dogs, and generally crates (even metal framed folding soft crates) are considered safer that a dog guard these days. In the event of an accident the dog can't move more than 30cm or so in a crate so is less likely to be injured. You can fix the crates down with bungie cords if you want them removeable. Also the dogs can't jump out as soon as you open the boot door and you can fold them up when you want to use the boot for other things. Dogs tend to settle more easily in the enclosed space of a crate too, so it's less stressful for them too.

I've got two crates that fit side by side nicely in the back of the PHEV. For dog shows when we take more than two dogs we have a VW T5 van with a custom made steel cage containing four sections for dogs (with doors on the front and back) that's bolted to the body and floor of the van. The PHEV costs a lot less to run though!

But granted, there are some situations where the old-style dog guard is preferred. Try Travall or Barjo as alternatives to Mitsubishi if you're in the UK. Expensive but they tend to be custom made to suit the vehicle.

I have just taken a Genuine Mitsubishi dog guard out of my 2015 Phev 4H & it's going to go into a 2018 model.
If you decide to fit a Genuine Mitsubishi dog guard, don't over tighten the two fixings. Doing so damages the side panels.

The red arrows mark where the panels get damaged.

normal_20180114_154525dog_guard~2.jpg

I have bought bigger rubber feet for the new car so I don't damage this one.........

I'll post a picture when fitted.

thanks for your replies. Need the dog guard for protection in case of a crash. have young child. Although he is normally tied in boot anyway.
I ave been looking at the travall ones but im thinking that one might interfere with the boot lid being closed when dog not in car.
RICHR, Have considerd dog crates , havent found one for a large breed dog yet though. Are there any you would recommend for large breed dog that will fit the outlander, that arent mega expensive.also have issue with dog not yet jumping into car so getting into crate may be more difficult. ( was in one as puppy but outgrow that one) .

What breed of dog is it? My Smooth Collies can jump up and into crates in the boot, though I have got a fabric bumper protector that I fold down so they don't scratch the paint :)

The crates I have are roughly 50cm wide, 55cm high and 75cm deep, and two fit side by side nicely. My dogs are about 50cm tall at the withers, so they can just about stand up in the crates and turn around, which encourages them to lie or sit down. Obviously if your dog is bigger then you'll only get one larger crate in. You should be able to find something around £50 with a decent metal frame (the frameless ones are difficult to tie down, but we use them at shows). Something like https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/folding_dog_kennels/507606

It'll be Crufts in a couple of weeks but we'll be taking the van to that...

We have the Mitsubishi dog guard fitted in our 18Y model.
Fitted by dealer from new.
Works fine for us, we have St Bernards and Great Danes, we use a ramp for the dogs to get in the boot.

sh490 said:
thanks for your replies. Need the dog guard for protection in case of a crash. have young child. Although he is normally tied in boot anyway.

I thought by law they have to be in a child seat. :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For the Genuine Mitsubishi dog guard part no: SP042018, I bought some 19mm suction cups from Towsure to replace the original feet.
It's more sturdy & shouldn't damage the side trim now.

Capture.JPG

20190221_192558small.jpg

Back