All terrain tires

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCbackroader

Has anyone fitted larger than standard tires to the PHEV? I want to step up from our OEM 28" dia. tires to an all terrain type at about 30" dia. to increase ground clearance on rough , rutted roads, but I don't know if this size will clear the wheel arches without rubbing, especially when turning the front wheels.

For the same reason, I'm also looking for a modest suspension lift kit of about 1" to 1.5". Is there one available aftermarket for our vehicles? I've not found anything in my online search, but may be missing something.

Given that Mitsubishi advises thin snow chains, I doubt whether there is sufficient space for larger tyres.

jaapv said:
Given that Mitsubishi advises thin snow chains, I doubt whether there is sufficient space for larger tyres.

This is why I'm also asking about the suspension lift. Moving the axle centre down 1-1.5" should add enough space to allow for the larger tires.

Surely it depends where the tight spot is? If it's the bottom of the wheel arch, you would need a lot more than 25mm to 40mm lift.

However, isn't that rather missing the point, this isn't a 4x4, it's designed for urban use and proper paved roads not rough dirt or gravel tracks.

Also, I'm pretty certain that your warranty will be affected, if not completely invalidated. There have been threads on here from people in Sweden making such changes to their early cars, once they are out of warranty and if I recall properly, they used parts from Germany.

Richard, I'm not trying to make the PHEV into a rock crawling, swamp fording monster, but all of the great camping, fishing, hunting, and other nice outdoorsy fun places here in western Canada, are usually at the end of some steep, twisting, rough resource road, built for logging and mining vehicles. I use my SUV 0n pavement Monday to Friday, but on weekends, I want to get to those places. Since I can't afford a dedicated trail rig, I'm attempting to make the PHEV as capable as possible, without ruining it's great highway manners. As of today, I've owned the car for one year, and already used one third of the 160,000 km warranty coverage, so I'm using that up fast. I'm more concerned about damaging the expensive bits underneath by bashing them on ruts and rocks, than I am about wearing something out a few months before end of warranty.

If you can find a lift kit for an Outlander, go for it! I did some quick searching and it looks like even finding a lift kit for any Outlander (gas powered too) is difficult.

I thought that if you could find a site with a lift kit for sale, it would tell you what size of tires would fit after the lift

There is a video on YouTube of a Mitsubishi sponsored Outlander in a rally race in Australia? Not sure if they did any mods to it, but they sure tried their best to beat it up. Might help you to figure what you need and don't need to do.

Sounds like a pretty risky idea as the main traction battery is slung underneath. Catching the top of one rock will ruin your weekend and many to come.
Buy an ATV, probably cheaper than any modification that would give you useful clearance and a lot less risky.

I lived in northern Ontario and have been on many logging roads, no way i would take a new Outlander on them.

The battery is rather well protected, I would not worry too much about it. The lack of proper skid plates and the vulnerable exhaust are more problematic.

sure you could take it on back "roads". I'm just making the observation that when I was owner/operator of a hunting lodge out in the boonies between Sudbury and Saulte St Marie, more than once us "locals" had to rescue weekend warriors who were sure their vehicle was invincible.
Question is really, can you afford to destroy your vehicle doing things it isn't really designed for. Why would you ?
Just as a matter of practicality, the fuel tank ( gas ) is so freaking small you really ain't going that far anyway. Any bush road can be fine in the AM and washed out by a beaver dam breaking in the PM. Trees fall, culverts collapse, all manner of unexpected things happen. Going into the bush in a shiny new car more designed for the urban jungle than the real bush is somewhat foolish. I have been the rescuer and the rescued.
Hey, I own one now and I love it but I don't even drive it on the grass !

To each his own, just don't blame the vehicle if it doesn't perform in ways it wasn't designed for.

Sounds like a fun project, but for the logging roads I would agree that you're probably better off getting a body-on-frame vehicle lile an old Suburban or pick-up.

I've owned many "real" trucks, including a 4x4 Suburban, and still own a 1 ton GMC 4x4 pickup, but for casual trips into the forest, that is way overkill, especially with our gas now at $1.75/L. It's great to be able to explore 60 km of road using just 1.5L instead of 5L, and do it so quietly that you get within 50M of the wildlife before it's aware of you. Last summer I drove as close as 20M of a cougar crossing the logging road, and it stopped and stared at the strange thing humming quietly in front of it.

I've already put some dents in the tailpipe at it's low point under the battery box, and a few scrapes on the lower section of the front bumper skin, and I know that just a couple of inches of extra clearance would avoid that, hence my quest for some very modest upgrades to the suspension/tires.

It appears that no one on this forum has any useful information in that regard, so I'll be the guinea pig, and work it out myself. I'll report back with the results when it's done and tested.

View attachment a.jpg235/65R18 tires will fit without rubbing and will give you about 0.8-0.9" (20-23mm) of additional ground clearance.

Speedometer Error
20 mph 30 mph 40 mph 50 mph 60 mph 70 mph 80 mph 90 mph

Actual

USA 2018 GT

Am considering an identical suspension lift for my 2019 phev for the same reasons. Have you had any luck finding workable components that lifted your battery up a little higher?

virgilphev, see my posts on page 6 of the "modding the PHEV" thread. I'm pleased with the 40mm lift, and the taller wheel/tire combo is going on next month.

In a moment of madness and inspired by the tyres fitted to the Porsche 911 Dakar and Lamborghini Hurracan Sterato, I have fitted all-terrain tyres to my Outlander PHEV.

I decided to stay with factory size 225/55R18 for insurance and clearance reasons and chose the General Grabber AT3 tyre in load rating 102, speed rating V and XL for extra load. They are also marked M+S mud snow, winter approved with the three peak mountain snowflake symbol.

So far I am genuinely impressed. Most tyres are 8mm tread from new and these all-terrains are 11mm tread.

My main concern was going to be the D-rated wet weather EU rating but my concerns have been unfounded. These are better in the wet and standing water than my previous A-rated summer tyres.

Back