Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tyre wear
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:22 am 

A new set of four 18 months ago and the two fronts are badly worn on the outer edges, especially the left one. I had full alignment after the last replacements. After discussion with the tyre fitters, I will run for another 1000 miles or so & have a complete set of Toyos. He read over a safety bulletin applicable to the PHEV to the effect that it was crucial to have all tyres of the same make, tread pattern & wear or risk severe transmission problems.
Q Any other reports of outer edge front tyre wear?
Q Does this mean that one irreparable puncture would need 4 new tyres after a certain amount of wear?

Post subject: Re: Tyre wear
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:43 am 

Uptodat wrote:
A new set of four 18 months ago and the two fronts are badly worn on the outer edges, especially the left one. I had full alignment after the last replacements. After discussion with the tyre fitters, I will run for another 1000 miles or so & have a complete set of Toyos. He read over a safety bulletin applicable to the PHEV to the effect that it was crucial to have all tyres of the same make, tread pattern & wear or risk severe transmission problems.
Q Does this mean that one irreparable puncture would need 4 new tyres after a certain amount of wear?

I would not advise getting Toyo's. Try an A-brand. Conti, Michelin, Vredenstein, Goodyear, they all make much nicer tyres.
Outer-edge tyre wear may indeed indicate bad alignment, but can also be caused by driving style or running the tyres at too low pressure.

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:01 am 

Thanks for response and advice. Under inflation is not an issue. The car is driven gently for economy and the steering wheel is only turned when moving. That the same wear pattern has happened twice made me wonder if the issue is confined to my vehicle or is more prevalent.
I initially asked about Michelin Cross Climate, even though Michelin say they won't be available in PHEV size until the new year. The tyre man's opinion was that I would pay a 50% premium and only get max 15% improved wear for cross climates which wear faster than the similarly expensive but perhaps more suitable Primacy tyres for most UK conditions. I know you get what you pay for and it's all a compromise etc, but aren't Toyos the original fit for a reason, or just for cost? Whatever I have fitted, I will have re-alignment then. The question about what to do when one worn tyre is written off remains.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:21 am 

Original fit tyres are the best (AKA cheapest within specification) contract that a car manufacturer can get away with.

I also wanted Cross-Climates, but finally settled for Vredenstein Quatrac, and couldn't be happier.
I know one should not compare worn tyres with new ones, but they are more comfortable and silent than the Conti Crossmax UHP that I had the car delivered on, and the road-holding and braking are at least as good.

In general, I think all-season tyres have come off age. Quite useful for 4WD SUVs too, as they will not only substitute for winter tyres, but the will offer a bit of off-road performance as well

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:05 am 

I join the opinion that car manufacturers simply hunt for the cheapest tyres within a certain range.
I had to replace such tyres already more than once due to really bad perfomance when braking on slippery ground.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:58 pm 

Uptodat wrote:

I find it hard to believe that having different tyres back and front would effect the transmission on the PHEV as there is no physical connection unlike a "normal" 4WD car. I suspect he was reading a non-PHEV specific safety bulletin. However, you should have the same tyres on the same axle, so an unrepairable puncture will mean 2 new tyres, which should go on the rear. However, you do get a "spare" this way so it would make sense to buy matching tyres so you can use the "spare" on any corner.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:41 am 

So I've got wear on the out edges of my fronts too. The dealer said they see a lot of this with the toyos so I expect when the time comes to replace mine I'll be trying something different.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:16 pm 

Tyre wear seems to be more asymmetric on the PHEV than is has been on any other car we've owned. At 40,000 miles, our front tyres are pretty much bald while the rears seem to be about 50% worn. The edges on the fronts went long before the middle of the tread. We are about to sell the car to ourselves - will get a full new set of tyres while it is a company asset and all maintenance tax deductible.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:41 pm 

That basically means they were run on too low pressure. I use 2.4 Bar. (35 PSI)

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:25 am 

jaapv wrote:
That basically means they were run on too low pressure. I use 2.4 Bar. (35 PSI)

So do I. Fast edge wear does seem to be a feature of the PHEV - I've seen it remarked on several times. I'm looking around for replacements now - range seems limited and I'm horrified by the reports of short life expectancy of many of the so-called premium brands. I think I'll go for Toyos again - they have been ok to drive and managed close to 40,000 miles before they have gone bald.