Bike rack recommendations

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webbo73

Hi all, apologies if this has been answered already but I couldn't find it. Anyone got any recommendations for bike transport with the PHEV? I've got a boot mountable one I used on my Zafira, but I'm suspecting it's not a good idea to fit it to the PHEV with it's automatic boot (may be wrong!).

I'm assuming a roof mounted carrier would be better but I've never used one so was hoping someone here had already found a good solution and could share!

Hi Webbo73
I can't recommend anything I'm afraid but we also have a boot mounted one which we won't be using on the new car. We were planning to get a tow bar (for other uses too) and get a cycle carrier for that - not sure if that is an option for you, it sounds like quite a few people have tow bars on their phevs. Not wanting to hijack your question, but I would appreciate tow bar mounted cycle rack recommendations too! I reckon for wind resistance/economy, that might be better although I suppose it would be heavier.
Cheers
H

hijack away Hypermiler - it's all related. Unfortunately tow bars are out for me as I'm only leasing my car so can't make modifications to it. I did find an official accessories page for Mitsubishi Australia that showed a Thule roof mounted carrier - so we'd need the roof bars like this https://roofracks.co.uk/Thule-Fit-G...tegrated-roof-rails&modelYear=2013-plus&id=57 and then the bike holding part(s) to go on it. A step stool might be needed as well to get the bikes on the roof without scratching the car!!

I have 2 separate bike carrier systems for my PHEV.

First, a set (3 in fact) of Thule 591 carriers - you can get these for about £80 each, though I think that Halfords is doing them one a buy one get the second half price offer at the moment. If you go to Halfords, its best to use Quidco or Topcashback and then reserve the items - that way, you'll get around an extra 2-3% off.

My other system - because the 591's can't carry a bike weighing more than 20 kilos (this is a very heavy weight for a bike) - is a Thule Europower 916, which is attached to my towbar. The Europower carries 2 bikes, weighing up to 30 kilos each.

I have a car on a lease and got the tow bar fitted this week. I'm going to take it off when I hand the car back.

PS - unless your 6 foot 5, you'll need a stool to put the bikes on top of the PHEV. I'm 6 foot and it's a real struggle without the stool.

Thanks guys. Just another idea - if you join British Cycling (for quite a modest annual amount that includes 3rd party insurance) you get 10% off pretty much anything in store at Halfords. (Other retailers are available and may be cheaper...)

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/halfords-discounts

Cheers
H

The Mitsubishi bars are only £110 and are of very good quality, I plan to get a pair myself. I did look at the Thule ones but the price difference was not that great and the Mitsu ones looked better on the car.

Sharky said:
The Mitsubishi bars are only £110 and are of very good quality, I plan to get a pair myself. I did look at the Thule ones but the price difference was not that great and the Mitsu ones looked better on the car.

It might be different in different markets i suppose, but in Sweden the Mitsubishi roof rack is a Thule rack with mitsubishi-branded brackets. So, I can use the same bike rack and other accessories as I had on my previous Volkswagen..

Anyone tried a rear door bike rack or advise which one is suitable for the phev getting car on Tuesday and been looking but a bit worried about rear door one's or get a roof rack.THANKS :D :D

I have used Pendle bike racks for years. The tow bar ones are excellent. A plate fits behind the tow bar ball allowing the bike rack posts to be fitted/removed in seconds. They are also really strong.

http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/shopping/hang-on-tb-rack.php

I had the one that clamped on the tow bar ball with a previous car which had a removable tow bar. I bought a spare tow bar hook and had the rack mounted permanently on that. (Still have the spare hook for an X5 if anyone needs one!!)

I have been using my towbar mount one all weekend.

FWIW - the towbar fits without any modifications to the car as far as I know. Can you fit, use, remove, ebay in time for end of contract?

simonrh said:
I have been using my towbar mount one all weekend.

FWIW - the towbar fits without any modifications to the car as far as I know. Can you fit, use, remove, ebay in time for end of contract?

Which one did you go for, and how much?

The towbar was fitted by my employer as we need to tow for work. It is a witter removable one with a bolt up flange mount on it.

My bike rack is one of these and just drops on the bracket and can take 4 bikes. It is a Thule 9705 = http://www.cycle-route.com/bikeshop/4628-Thule-9705-Bolton-Universal-4-Bike-Towball-Carrier.html

Sharky said:

Hi, sorry for resurrecting an old thread but where can you get them that cheaply? I can only find them for £170ish

Back