Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Charging cable theft protection
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:01 am 

If the pilot circuit is disconnected then main power is not supplied from any side, insulated cutting pliers would do the trick too if you are that hamfisted :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:58 pm 

jaapv wrote:
Those plugs are expensive as well - and it seems to be a bit dodgy to cut a cable that might have 300 V from the car on it...Better to take a couple of pliers and break the lock.

You forget how stupid these yobs are - the amount of cable in one EV charger is not worth the effort for metal thieves, so all you are going to have to worry about are those trying to nick "for a laugh" (probably when high on something) they certainly won't have any equipment with them and will just give it a bloody big yank, kick the car in and smash the window if you're lucky. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:33 am 

When charging from the house the cable is plugged in inside so they would be fairly bold to come try steal in up my drive etc.

The public charging units in glasgow lock your charging cable in place at the hook up end at least and until you swipe the same RFID card that was used to activate it it wont release.

How do i know this? Because I spent 10 minutes fighting to unhook it like a plum till a wee old lady in a leaf showed me what to do!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:39 am 

I bought this lock, same as one I use on my Suzuki Burgman with HD chain;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Products ... rd+hd+lock

Shackle is protected with rubber and has room for three loops of cable.

'16 GX4H, Orient Red, Gen 3 Glasscoat, Bonnet Lettering, Chrome Pack, Protection Pack, Front and Rear Sensors.

Last edited by Claymore on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:53 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:11 am 

I posted on speakev and I can't see how to get images on here, so if you need a wall anchor then this is a great combination: http://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-p ... 15mm/98747

Wall/floor anchor with built in padlock. I have my 3m cable running through it from my untethered charge point.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:08 am 

That's a neat lock. I may get one for my motorcycle as it is better than the simple clasp type I have at the moment - it will do both jobs at once!

Jeff

1993 Red Eunos Roadster - Imported form Japan 2016 - 136,000 kms
Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:29 pm 

I would also like to have this feature in my car. I have read Electric car buyers guide and great to know about benefits of electric car. I am really happy with the info that I have got and planning to buy a new electric car soon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:05 am 

Just to put this in perspective: did anybody ever hear of a cable being stolen?

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:13 pm 

Jaap this morning I found my charger cable ripped out of the car. Somebody twisted it out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:00 am 

when naughty people realise that EV cables cost from £100-300 depending on length, connectors and Amp rating - they will start nicking them. They'll either strip them for copper and weigh them in or sell on gumtree or ebay
a £200 cable will sell 2nd hand half price for a £100, so that's a hundred quid for a 1 min easy steal.

i put a padlock round mine, with padlock fitted through the towbar fitting, to stop the opportunist thief from unplugging and walking off. obviously won't stop a prepared thief with bolt croppers, but it will stop people unplugging and walking off with it. the mitsubishi outlander does not lock the cable unfortunately. what i also read is that a lot of other cars lock the cable when its charging and the car is locked. however when the charge is finished - can you just unplug it then???

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next