Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tow rating of New Zealand Vehicles
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:52 pm 

nzdriver wrote:
After much research I purchased the VRX model last week, and pick it up next Wednesday.
One thing I noticed is that the vehicles purchased in NZ only have a tow rating of 750kg. When all other countries tow rating is 1500kg. The salesman said that is because Mitsubishi are wary of kiwis overloading their trailers.
Anyone have any thoughts on whether that is true or not?

The issue is; if you drive the Outlander PHEV like a standard IC powered vehicle with a 1500 KG trailer up some of those long steep hills in NZ with a battery that is down to less that 4 kwhr you will eventually go into Turtle mode and then stop. I have driven my Outlander PHEV over 6000 kms with a 1400kg caravan over some of the steepest main roads in the North Island NZ (including the Desert Road) without an issue. The key to this when the battery is down to its minimum level is to use the Energy Monitor and ensure that you do not exceed 60 KW output to the electric traction motors. You will slow down a bit but you will find that you do go faster than the big trucking rigs that are grinding their way up these big hills.

The key thing to remember is that the generator output is 70KW so when the battery is low you cannot let the traction motor output exceed this. So the engine gets a bit noisy as you climb these steep long hills but you get there soon enough.

Have done 75000 km now and very happy with the Outlander PHEV. It actually tows quite well but you just have to understand the basic Engineering principles involved. Once you get to your destination you can charge your Outlander via the Caravan power outlets and get back to full EV driving.
Mitsubushi NZ need to revisit the 750 kg braked towing limit. I can understand why they did it based on the poor instructions and explanations in the user manual but with special instructions based on the above there is no reason why they cannot allow the full 1500 Kg towing as per Australia and the rest of the world. What I have done is not illegal in NZ as the towing limit is not based on Manufactuers ratings but on braking distance which is absolutely not an issue for my rig. Misubushi NZ are aware of my experiences and views on the matter.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:25 am 

Countries like Switzerland and Austria have a 1500 Kg towing limit, and one can find a hill or two there... Nor do we see any Turtle complaints from those parts of the world, I can recall just one report in the forums.

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:07 pm 

nzphev wrote:
I know the weight of the trailer and how much wood was put in there.

The weight of the trailer is on a sticker but how did you know the actual weight (as opposed to the amount) of the wood?

Just wondering.

JimB

'16 GX4H, Orient Red, Gen 3 Glasscoat, Bonnet Lettering, Chrome Pack, Protection Pack, Front and Rear Sensors.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:33 am 

greendwarf wrote:
I know it is said that you should use Charge on hills - otherwise you run out of battery too quickly. In this situation is there a conflict with telling the car to replace battery losses at the expense of providing motive power? Perhaps you should be aiming to use both to drive the wheels on short steep inclines and let the battery run down :?:

I think the idea is to select charge to maintain the battery charge when you anticipate hilly terrain rather than when you encounter it. The idea is to have a good charge in the battery before you hit the bottom of a hill to assist the engine to get the vehicle up the hill. I towed a 1200kg full height caravan through the Flinders Ranges without issue, the battery was showing it was exhausted most of the time even though I had selected charge mode, it still performed perfectly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:56 am 

Patsparks wrote:
I towed a 1200kg full height caravan through the Flinders Ranges without issue, the battery was showing it was exhausted most of the time even though I had selected charge mode, it still performed perfectly.
Let me guess, this is mostly at speeds below 40 MPH?