Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Zealand charging
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:43 pm 

My car is on a 3 year lease so I'm not that concerned about battery longevity. My primary requirement is getting the car charged as fast as humanly possible.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:26 am 

Well, don't forget that the dealer and Mitsubishi are able to read out the charging history and that a battery condition check is part of the resale procedure.
The car takes about 3 1/2 hours to charge overnight. How long do you sleep?

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:57 am 

nzphev wrote:
Something else I've found out is after about 30 mins of charging it drops down to only 1 or 2 amps for a few mins, almost 10 gone so far. So I unplugged it and plugged in again and boom, straight back up to 14.5 amps. So what is the car software doing during the charging phase? I will track exactly what it does for a whole charge and perhaps stick a timer on there to avoid the trickle charge sections. Just can't figure out why they won't let the car charge up faster.

Its a cooling period - not wise to override it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:10 am 

I have seen the gaps in the recharging, but not every time my PHEV was recharged. I have no way of checking a correlation with a cooling event. Am certain the pause is not related to any balancing action alone. I have not seen a schematic of the battery internal electrics, but the only time I see any cell imbalance, up to 5mV is towards the top of the recharge cycle. The cells in my PHEV still register as Excellent condition, with typical 1-2mV difference. Battery recharging is still suspended, so may only be a cooling system operation.

Fast recharging results in a lower amount of energy stored in the battery, and 10 mins in around 180-250mins, depending on current available is surely not a problem. Sure 10mins in a rapid recharge that might be 20mins could be considered a problem.

Make the GRID your friend.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:05 pm 

gwatpe wrote:
I have seen the gaps in the recharging, but not every time my PHEV was recharged. I have no way of checking a correlation with a cooling event. Am certain the pause is not related to any balancing action alone. I have not seen a schematic of the battery internal electrics, but the only time I see any cell imbalance, up to 5mV is towards the top of the recharge cycle. The cells in my PHEV still register as Excellent condition, with typical 1-2mV difference. Battery recharging is still suspended, so may only be a cooling system operation.

Fast recharging results in a lower amount of energy stored in the battery, and 10 mins in around 180-250mins, depending on current available is surely not a problem. Sure 10mins in a rapid recharge that might be 20mins could be considered a problem.

The cells do not need to try and balance with an 80% recharge from a fast charger so the cooling period to confirm the cell voltage is not required. On a 100% grid charge, the Cell Monitoring Units need to accurately measure the voltage of each cell to start switching them on and off as they approach fully charged.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:19 pm 

Well, if Mitsubishi's engineers are stupid enough to introduce unnecessary pauses... :roll:

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:16 pm 

I have used from a Mighty River Power charge station and it was fast, probably about 3 hours for a full charge. At home a full charge is about 6 hours from a standard 10 amp plug.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:45 pm 

jaapv wrote:
Well, don't forget that the dealer and Mitsubishi are able to read out the charging history and that a battery condition check is part of the resale procedure.

I charge it during daylight hours when the sun is shining and we are generating peak power form out solar panels.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:55 pm 

nzphev wrote:
jaapv wrote:

I charge it during daylight hours when the sun is shining and we are generating peak power from our solar panels.

My PHEV is recharged from solar as well. No grid in the mix though. I only recharge at 2.2kW, the max that my AUS shipped PHEV control box allows. about 4.5 to 5h. Clouds do not affect the recharge rate, as the house battery supplies the deficit. I don't usually fully recharge when it is raining.

Make the GRID your friend.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:51 pm 

I'm on grid tie with no batteries so can only make the most of it during strong daylight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next