Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Zealand charging
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:22 pm 

nzphev wrote:
Something else I've found out is after about 30 mins of charging it drops down to only 1 or 2 amps for a few mins, almost 10 gone so far. So I unplugged it and plugged in again and boom, straight back up to 14.5 amps. So what is the car software doing during the charging phase? I will track exactly what it does for a whole charge and perhaps stick a timer on there to avoid the trickle charge sections. Just can't figure out why they won't let the car charge up faster.
This gap has been discussed many times. Last time very recent: http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22611#p22611.

Like Jaapv, I am convinced there was a very good reason for Mitsu to program this behaviour and I think it would be irresponsible to try to bypass it.

When it comes to the max charge rate: that is related to the capacity of the onboard charger. I don't think doubling the charge rate would be an issue for the battery: compare the 3.3 kW used for normal GRID charging with the up to 24 kW during hybrid mode and up to 60 kW during regenning and I think there will be room for a bit more. It will just require replacement of hardware. And perhaps a more robust outlet, indeed. There Nissan Leaf was originally equipped with a 3.7 kW charger. Later models had a 7.2 kW charger (I think it was optional).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:28 pm 

jaapv wrote:
Actually I uprated the circuit of my home 16A charging box to 25A to keep that ring open for other appliances.
Jaapv, I would think both are violations of local regulations?
- Using fuses > 16 amps
- Having an appliance that is rated > 2000 watts share a group / fuse with other appliances

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:28 am 

Not if one has the main circuits rated to provide three-phase 400V power as I have. I had to do so to provide power to my Sauna.

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:36 am 

jaapv wrote:
Not if one has the main circuits rated to provide three-phase 400V power as I have. I had to do so to provide power to my Sauna.
I assume your sauna is hooked up to a double (kookgroep) or even triple (krachtgroep) fuse, and not a single one?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:41 am 

Krachtgroep. The Sauna takes 12 kW. The Electricity company uprated the main fuses too. No DIY install ;)

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:25 am 

jaapv wrote:
Krachtgroep. The Sauna takes 12 kW. The Electricity company uprated the main fuses too. No DIY install ;)
I assume your 'krachtgroep' is 3x16 ampere (allowing for 11.1 kW)? And not 3x20 or even more? To my knowledge, according to NEN1010, a single group in a normal house is not supposed to be more than 16 ampere. You can have more, but than you need a substation where the one group is split into several groups of each 16 amps max. But then you can hardly call it a single group (or kring) anymore.

Sorry, way to OT :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:58 am 

3x20. I do get a business rate, áll runs through my business, with private use split off for the taxes. Not too OT, I think. The way we charge our cars is relevant. ;)

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am 

Still OT, but I get a buzz from plugging in at home knowing I am not contributing to increased utility loading by ownership of a plug in hybrid.

Make the GRID your friend.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:53 am 

That is surely a good thing, but for now the effects of electric vehicles plugging in are limited and manageable, even in high-Tesla density areas.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/51 ... -the-grid/

The use of V2G technology looks promising as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle-to-grid

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:15 pm 

I contacted MMNZ about fast charging and the network that Vector is deploying to allow fast charging at various locations around the place and the fact that EU models already have fast charge. Response was:

Sorry, we didn't know Vector had developed a fast charging network. We have no plans to change production of the Oceania/NZ PHEV Outlander at this time.

Great help as this is the single biggest thing that is holding me back from buying what would be my 3rd Outlander.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next