Braking efficiency

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greendwarf

Has anybody been surprised by an apparent lack of stopping power?

Yesterday evening, (4c and dry but possible dew formation, officer) I was swinging around our local gyratory at 30mph or less with ICE running, already under at least B3 regen but on a decline, when a cyclist decided to try to enter in front of me. Emergency stop produced unpleasant juddering sound from transmission (anti-lock effect?) but most alarmingly a lack of stopping power. :eek: I really though it wasn't going to stop in time - in fact. if he hadn't stepped off the bike leaning it away from me I would have hit them! This was despite have winter tyres on the car :oops: .

I'm sure my Toyota Avensis estate would have stopped quicker under the same conditions ( & without the tyres) or is this just the inevitable effect of the extra weight of the PHEV?

I have found the car to be pretty good at stopping.

Perhaps it was icier that you thought or your winter tyres are not as good as others?

Also even with some fairly hard braking I have yet to have the ABS kick in.

The same here. But there is a point that the laws of physics take over. That the ABS came in proves that you lost adhesion.
The ABS prevents the wheels locking up and smearing rubber over the Tarmac, but it can feel as if the car is not stopping as fast as it can, as your mind expects squealing and smoke. On fact, it is a lot more effective.

Back