Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Australians down under
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:53 am 

G'day people,

Anthony from Adelaide... I've been lurking but I'm not "aspiring" anymore, with some luck I'll pick up a newish PHEV on Wednesday. Found a nice appliance white number with 20 000 ex mitsi fleet kilometres on it and ended up at about $31and a bit on road. Of their stock the white up spec model was sold, the insipid road coloured one had been a bit unloved, so we got a cleaner standard 2014.5 model.

Has anyone else had water condensed in the tail lights or have we just had a particularly ruthless detailer at work with a pressure washer? Dealer is looking at it.

I quizzed them on servicing just out of interest and they volunteered to do one, as it has been 2 years since delivery(?) Warranty is current till mid 2020 they tell me. Think I'll do 7500km oil changes myself as cold starts and short runs are dreadful for engines generally.

Ive been raking back through the forums here and elsewhere, can anyone quantify what the current/final/todays word is on recalls and software updates? Did these things get tangled up in the Takata airbag fiasco too?

I've ordered an OBD2 WiFi adaptor and bought the EVBATMON app... that looks intriguing to play with. Who else has fiddled with that?

My only other concern at the moment is getting a decent towbar sorted and adding some electric brake wiring. Redarc make a good controller but I've not sorted a bar yet. As an auto electrician I'm inclined to get factory wiring for the lights but has anyone had experiece good or bad?

Cheers for the reading so far.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:57 pm 

Welcome. As someone who has recently lost their PHEV virginity I hope your experience will be as enjoyable as mine. The water in/ around the tail lights seems to be a fairly common issue, see here. In terms of updates, when I got mine and I quizzed the dealer, the answer seemed to be that there was a recall for fouling spark plugs, so the software was updated to ensure the engine ran for longer. Aside from that getting a map update check would also be worthwhile. No Takata airbag issue with the PHEV, and no issue regarding the recent engine loss of power recall for many Mitsubishi models.

I had a towbar fitted by a dealer as I needed a roadworthy inspection done as well for a rego swap, but my understanding is there's nothing particularly special about the PHEV in terms of fitting braking wiring so any decent firm/ mechanic should be able to do the job. Like you I've ordered the OBD2 adaptor and will have a play with EVBATMON when it arrives.

3.0kW Solar, grid connected.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:24 pm 

Congratulations, @ investedenergy . One thing to be aware of (I wasn't) is that your ex-fleet vehicle is not covered by the capped price servicing arrangement.
Be prepared to negotiate service prices if your are going to a dealership.
My last service was almost $400 over the capped price amount - I didn't know about the situation until after I'd dropped off the vehicle.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:06 pm 

At the Wayville Showgrounds some time ago an Outlander PHEV was on display connected to a box made by an Australian company that in turn was connected to a small tent with a fridge in it, some party lights, etc. In other words, it seemed to be a 3rd party box allowing functionality similar to the missing AC outlet we don't get in Australia.

Does anyone know what this product is or what the company was that sells it?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:40 am 

Ok, the photos were taken with my wife’s iPhone, and I used the geotagging to look for photos taken at the show grounds.

Company is gelcoservices, looks Adelaide based, but no mention of this product on their website? Does anyone have one?

I don’t have a PHEV yet, but now there is a model with CarPlay I’m keen to get one as I already wanted one, but no CarPlay was a deal breaker for me and I can’t swap out a PHEV headunit as I’d lose the EV system info on that display.

Here are the pics of the tent to stuff that was running off the PHEV and the sign. I didn’t get a pic of the PHEV itself but I’m sure you know what they look like :)

The pics were just so I could look it up online later. But it’s not on their site. :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqv3iiyg46s1tre/Photo%206-8-17%2C%204%2032%2036%20pm.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewdz1i4mx66qfa8/Photo%206-8-17%2C%204%2032%2040%20pm.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:33 am 

darwiniandude wrote:
At the Wayville Showgrounds some time ago an Outlander PHEV was on display connected to a box made by an Australian company that in turn was connected to a small tent with a fridge in it, some party lights, etc. In other words, it seemed to be a 3rd party box allowing functionality similar to the missing AC outlet we don't get in Australia.

Does anyone know what this product is or what the company was that sells it?

I still don't understand this! The traction battery costs thousands of dollars and the car is useless when it wears out - surely you want to reserve it for driving rather than using up valuable life expectancy on your fridge, don't you? A Honda suitcase generator costing a few hundred dollars is the correct power source for a fridge and some party lights!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:54 am 

Anyone replaced the 12v battery? Said it needs replacing at the 45k service. How long have yours been lasting

The battery in the car is an x60cmf which is different to what the manual says

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:32 am 

Mine has been in for four years and 95000 kms. Nobody said anything about replacing it. I would use it until it dies. To be sure you could carry a small 12V battery with you (like from a house alarm) with a couple of wires and clips. It does not take much to jump-start the car.

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:23 pm 

maby wrote:
I still don't understand this! The traction battery costs thousands of dollars and the car is useless when it wears out - surely you want to reserve it for driving rather than using up valuable life expectancy on your fridge, don't you? A Honda suitcase generator costing a few hundred dollars is the correct power source for a fridge and some party lights!

I'm with you maby, however I would guess some do not want a smelly generator taking up space while driving, or the noise at the destination.
These decisions are usually more aspirational, than rational or financial. Much like buying a full price PHEV in many circumstances where you are unlikely to recoup the extra purchase cost over its lifetime.

Cheers, J.
http://www.EvPositive.com
2010 iMiEV, 2015 Outlander PHEV
PHEV App EvBatMon -
Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.EvPositive.EvBatMon
iOS https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/evbatmon-for-mitsubishi-outlander/id1143901805

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:48 am 

zzcoopej wrote:
maby wrote:

I'm with you maby, however I would guess some do not want a smelly generator taking up space while driving, or the noise at the destination.
These decisions are usually more aspirational, than rational or financial. Much like buying a full price PHEV in many circumstances where you are unlikely to recoup the extra purchase cost over its lifetime.

That might be true if we were talking about a big, noisy, smelly diesel gen-set, but modern four-stroke petrol suitcase generators in the 1 to 2kw range are small, clean and almost silent. If you are far enough from civilisation to need off-grid power, you will presumably be needing battery charge to get home without burning too much petrol - better to let a little Honda do what it is good at and run your fridge on a cupfull of petrol and save the traction battery to get you home later in the day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 32  Next