Cardiff

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picking up GX3h today Glacier Blue with detachable tow bar. Pleased with short lead in time compared to Atlantic Grey.
Will be utilising IKEA Cardiff and M4 charging stations run by Ecotricity, home charge point booked for early November with Chargemaster who have local agent called Dan in Chepstow. Looking at helping the campaign for charging points strategically around the City, however the biggest issue in Wales is the fallow supply of charge points between North and South Wales with wilderness in between, that needs to change. I live 19 miles from Cardiff (where I have family member) frequent work and I am from Northern suburb.

Hi Joe, My wife n I spend quite a few holidays in North Wales, we are members of the National Trust and in Wales all their properties have FREE to use charging points,we are hoping the they will follow suit in England. I know this will not help you with your daily commute to work. Regards Col.

Joe said:
Picking up GX3h today Glacier Blue with detachable tow bar. Pleased with short lead in time compared to Atlantic Grey.
Will be utilising IKEA Cardiff and M4 charging stations run by Ecotricity, home charge point booked for early November with Chargemaster who have local agent called Dan in Chepstow. Looking at helping the campaign for charging points strategically around the City, however the biggest issue in Wales is the fallow supply of charge points between North and South Wales with wilderness in between, that needs to change. I live 19 miles from Cardiff (where I have family member) frequent work and I am from Northern suburb.

I think it's hard to make a case for putting charging points between North and South Wales, you know. It's about 120 miles as the crow flies and, given the nature of the country in between, I would guess it's over 200 miles by road. If you can squeeze 20 miles of EV range out of the vehicle, that's ten recharging stops of around half an hour each (assuming an express charger - more like three hours on a fast charger) - would anyone add five hours to their journey time to travel entirely on electricity? That is a trip to make on petrol and an excellent example of why an Outlander beats something like a Zoe.

Glad the South to North (or vice versa) trip has been considered on this post.
There are 3 main routes: firstly the A470 if travelling to Caernarfon, Bangor and Anglesey, secondly the A470 and the trip through Newtown Welshpool Oswestry and Wrexham to reach the A55 and all points to Llandudno and then finally the other routes which straddle the English border via Abergavenny, Hereford, Shrewsbury etc.
I wouldn't suggest that there were 10 points across the route to enable a full electric journey but it would be good if there were some/any.
That would mean if I drove to North via Llandod or Rhyader I could stop for a break and charge as this 200 mile trip takes 5 hours and any driver would have to stop once or twice anyway. That means that a PHEV driver could get 75 miles of the 200 on electric, from home with 2 stops. On a spring day that is reasonable.
You could travel from Chepstow on the M4 and have the option of 6 Ecotricity free charger sites at the services till you reach Pont Abraham so East to West/ West to East for nearly 80 miles is well covered (saturated) in the Southern half of the country whilst North to South/South to North is fallow.
Say for example a charge point at McDonalds at Newtown or Morrisons at Newtown or Tesco Llandod would break up the 200 miles nicely with a coffee/comfort break.

Col said:
Hi Joe, My wife n I spend quite a few holidays in North Wales, we are members of the National Trust and in Wales all their properties have FREE to use charging points,we are hoping the they will follow suit in England. I know this will not help you with your daily commute to work. Regards Col.

Nice to know Col, thanks for that.

Totally agree with Cymro
This thread should be called Wales
Is there anyway the administrator can do this or if not shall we start a new thread.

Back