Home charging point

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam470

Hi there, I am having my new car delivered in November, where has everyone order there home charge point from? recommendations and experiences? Im in Southampton :D :D

I went to Chargemaster after speaking to British Gas and not being particularly impressed with their grasp of the concept of electric vehicles.

Chargemaster responded rapidly and installed just after a week later - actually they called me on a couple of occasions in the intervening period to check if I was at home because they had an engineer in my area with spare time to do the job. I had the standard 16A model (untethered) installed and it was completely free - though this was a couple on months ago before the rules were changed - not sure if it is still completely free.

I went through British Gas, again when it was free a few months ago (I believe you have to pay something like 10% now). The installation of the tethered 16A unit went very smoothly, but BG were completely unaware of how to get charge data from it. I ended up speaking to ChargeMaster, who very quickly set me up with a ChargeVision account online, so I can provide detailed charging data for reimbursement.

British Gas now charge £115 to install a 16 Amp home charge point, and were useless from a communication perspective.

ChargeMaster provide a 16 Amp home charge point free of charge, and you can upgrade to a 30 Amp unit for future proofing for £95, which is what I did.

The Outlander Phev will only draw 16Amps from the unit as that's it's max ampage rate through that connector.

Now I just need my car to plug into it, still waiting :(

Whistles, twiddles thumbs, mutters a few choice swear words at useless Mitsubishi rep under breath.

Plus one for ChargeMaster, found them to be very efficient and helpful.

I also upgraded to a 7 kW unit tethered model.
Takes roughly 5 hours to charge from empty.

somersetstroller said:

Surely not? I have the 16A standard version and a full charge takes around three and a half hours. I know that the car will only draw a maximum of 16A even if plugged into a 30A (7kw) box, but 16A is 4kW - a full charge is about 10kWh - ok, it's not linear, but it can do it in a fair bit less than 5 hours - that is the time it takes plugged into a standard 13A socket.

P.S. If you are going for a 30A unit in the interests of "future proofing", then it probably does not make much sense to go for a tethered unit - there are several connectors in use now - no certainty that your future car is going to have the same socket as the PHEV.

Sam
I've contacted Rolec because I like the look of their WallpodEV and because they claim to do the 32amp upgrade for free still. They have directed me to their 'local' fitter which is South Downs Solar http://www.southdownssolar.co.uk/#!electrical-vehicle-charge-points/cx4 However, I sent them an email last week and am still waiting to hear from them. They're in Hurstpierpoint in West Sussex so not particularly local - I'm Chandlers Ford so pretty close to you.
Dave

davec said:
Sam
I've contacted Rolec because I like the look of their WallpodEV and because they claim to do the 32amp upgrade for free still. They have directed me to their 'local' fitter which is South Downs Solar http://www.southdownssolar.co.uk/#!electrical-vehicle-charge-points/cx4 However, I sent them an email last week and am still waiting to hear from them. They're in Hurstpierpoint in West Sussex so not particularly local - I'm Chandlers Ford so pretty close to you.
Dave

That's who I used and if you want to look elsewhere on this forum, I'd proceed with caution...

South Downs were OK, but I wish we never had got the Rolec box.

somersetstroller said:

That doesn't sound right I would have thought about 3 1/2 hours on that connection.

Alan

My apologises to everyone for my post,
“I also upgraded to a 7 kW unit tethered model. Takes roughly 5 hours to charge from empty.”,
it should have read 3½ hours.,

:oops:

Just had my 16A charge point installed by Chargemaster. Fuss free process - after an initial telephone application, a surveyor called to assess my requirements and he advised that an upgraded consumer unit was needed (which I then installed myself). Yesterday the engineer called and completed the installation in about 1 1/2 hours. Very neat and tidy - just need a car to plug in now!

Now if only I can find a way of getting another one installed at my office I will have a free commute :mrgreen:

RazMan said:
Just had my 16A charge point installed by Chargemaster. Fuss free process - after an initial telephone application, a surveyor called to assess my requirements and he advised that an upgraded consumer unit was needed (which I then installed myself). Yesterday the engineer called and completed the installation in about 1 1/2 hours. Very neat and tidy - just need a car to plug in now!

Now if only I can find a way of getting another one installed at my office I will have a free commute :mrgreen:

Hmmm, you must tell us what energy supplier you use and what tariff!

Back