Home charger - Glasgow

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paule23

Hello all

I've just arranged a lease on an outlander PhEV and I'm looking for advice on home charging points. I know I can use the OLEV grants and the Energy Saving Trust will pay the difference to a 32 amp system, but I could do with some advice on which supplier to use. There are 4 on the EST website, does anyone have any personal experience they could share with me? Any thoughts on tethered or not?

Thanks

Paul

Hi
I was a total noob and just went with the Mitsubishi recommended British Gas installation (16A). I didn't even know you could get it upgraded to 32A. I have to say BG were reasonably efficient - they contacted me (just) within the two weeks after I filled in the online form. They used a subcontractor - P H Jones I think they were called. Contact was pretty efficient, they called to fix a time and turned up promptly. My only complaint was that shortly after they fitted the charger and I started using it, it blew the main fuse (the whole house) a couple of times; I contacted the guy and he said, 'ah well, you probably need to fit an isolator switch, then', which I gather is pretty standard. Amazingly, Eon fitted an isolator switch for free, and the PHJones guy came back and it's been fine since then.
Regarding tethered or not, it's pretty much up to you. Non-tethered (i.e. just a socket) is regarded as more future-proof - i.e. in five years things will probably have moved on and 'type 1/type 2' could be a thing of the past. I don't regret going for tethered - it's much quicker to plug in if you don't have to get the lead out of the boot (the boot opens v e r y s l o w l y as you probably know, at least on the 4h and 4hs) - some days (weekends mostly) I must plug in four or five times a day and I wouldn't want to have to get a lead out and put it back in the rain every time. Of course you can buy an extra lead to avoid having to do this but it's £160.....
Hope that helps

British gas were useless charge master were great. I upgraded to 32amp for 95 quid few r future proof. BG are 115 quid for a 16 amp.

Thanks for the relies. I'm considering Rolec as they don't charge for a 32 amp socket, and whilst I know I can claim any cost back, this saves the hassle.

Re. The cable and boot opening slowly, i will be a lowly 3h owner so won't have this problem! But I think tethered might be the way to go. I'll already need a mode 3 cable for out and about so don't want too many cluttering up my boot.

Paule23 said:
Thanks for the relies. I'm considering Rolec as they don't charge for a 32 amp socket, and whilst I know I can claim any cost back, this saves the hassle.

Re. The cable and boot opening slowly, i will be a lowly 3h owner so won't have this problem! But I think tethered might be the way to go. I'll already need a mode 3 cable for out and about so don't want too many cluttering up my boot.

Surely a "mode 3 cable" is what you need to use an untethered domestic point, isn't it? I really don't see much point in installing a 32A tethered point for "future proofing" - the Outlander cannot benefit from it and you are making the assumption that your next car will have the same charging socket fitted as the Outlander - not very future proof.

Here's me trying to pretend I know what I'm talking about......

Good point Maby, I'll have a think again about the most suitable home charging option. But any thoughts on companies to use?

When I'm out and about what sort of cable do it need to use CYC or other charge points?

Paule23 said:
Here's me trying to pretend I know what I'm talking about......

Good point Maby, I'll have a think again about the most suitable home charging option. But any thoughts on companies to use?

When I'm out and about what sort of cable do it need to use CYC or other charge points?

Chargemaster, assuming that they operate in your area.

I think you'll find that the vast majority of public charging points require a Type 1 Female to Type 2 Male Plug cable - the same as you would use with your untethered home charging point. Some will use the 13A cable that comes with the car. The third type is the rapid chargers which use the big Chademo plugs - but those are all tethered, so you don't need to carry your own cable round to be able to se them.

Back