Outlander PHEV for Canada

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phevy

Not sure why a thread for Canada was shutdown, without referencing the apparent duplication. As I could not find any other thread in this sub-forum specific to Canadian sales!
canada_flag.png

I was able to sit in the PHEV on the 2017 Toronto Autoshow !
32138961824_8f1b851139_t.jpg
:p
32941136436_15067a9245_z.jpg

I'm not a big fan of black, but must admit that this Ruby Black Pearl is actually a nice color! :cool:
Of course this picture does not do it justice. (full size https://flic.kr/p/SbTWdd )
Love the brown leather with red stitching on the seats!
img_instylenavi_with_safety_03_on.jpg

Forgot to take my own picture, but the brown actually looked darker than in this picture.
I was surprised that the gear stick was mirrored from the UK version.
It was nice to see that the electric parking brake is a fully enclosed unit and therefore more likely to function after a long while, as there are no cables to seize after a harsh Canadian winter.

Got word from one of the dealers on the show, that Mitsubishi Canada is starting the training program for the technicians, thus if they are pouring real money into the training, it might actually happen, that the PHEV will arrive! The current prediction is Q1 2018 for delivery in Canada. :roll:
This model did not have a fast charging plug and I was told that one of the reasons for delay of the introduction was, to have a fast charging system in place, that is most common for North America. (I forgot what system the dealer mentioned. I'm still not educated to the various systems.)
Price guess - after rebates - low 50K.

I enjoyed the show! :D

Neat! Thanks for the feedback and relaying the message that they are rolling out some training on the PHEV here finally. I am also waiting on this release...hoping that they might increase battery capacity slightly and maybe some other nice improvement perks by the time Q1 2018 rolls around -- an slight increase in battery could allow bigger rebates in some NA regions, which would be great :)

Sure who wouldn't want more battery capacity. There is always room for more. :cool:
However, it'll increase the price and for me the current ~40km will cover the majority of my trips. :D

I'm not sure it would be more expensive to the consumer though, as the increased cost of a moderate increase in battery capacity would be somewhat offset by an increased government rebate. For example in BC and Ontario, you get a higher rebate with a capacity of 15 or 16 kWh or higher, so increasing to around there or slightly higher from the current 12 kWh really makes sense from a manufacturer point of view, to increase competitiveness without increasing purchase cost to consumer. I think the situation is similar at least in parts of the US.

http://www.boisvertmitsubishi.ca/outlander-phev.aspx?lng=2

"Introducing the 2018 Outlander PHEV starting at $38,998 (price includes applicable taxes, government rebates, transport and preparation costs)

The new 2018 Outlander PHEV will be arriving in late 2017/early 2018 and will be available in 3 different trims which will be announced very soon.

Between the months of January and March 2018, 500 Outlander PHEV's will be arriving in Canada, 95 of which will be delivered to the government of Quebec. The balance will be allotted to those who have placed pre-orders."

Thanks for this. Information on the Outlander PHEV in Canada sure is hard to come by. I decided to send the dealership an inquiry, as I'm not too far away. I might just put down a deposit...

crussellsprout said:

"Introducing the 2018 Outlander PHEV starting at $38,998 (price includes applicable taxes, government rebates, transport and preparation costs)

The new 2018 Outlander PHEV will be arriving in late 2017/early 2018 and will be available in 3 different trims which will be announced very soon.

Between the months of January and March 2018, 500 Outlander PHEV's will be arriving in Canada, 95 of which will be delivered to the government of Quebec. The balance will be allotted to those who have placed pre-orders."

Good news that we have a base price and means to pre-order. :lol:
Will see what my GTA dealers offer?
crussellsprout said:
..."

Interesting, apparently the NA 2018 Outlander PHEV will have CHAdeMO charging after all (last year the official word was that it wouldn't) -- perhaps due to influence by Nissan?

"The third method is the DC (Direct Current) quick charge. This takes advantage of CHAdeMO connector port, which is the standard equipment of the 2018 Boisvert Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV."

Last year's word:
http://insideevs.com/mitsubishi-to-drop-chademo-on-u-s-outlander-phev/

crussellsprout said:
Interesting, apparently the NA 2018 Outlander PHEV will have CHAdeMO charging after all

Here in Australia the MY14.5 and MY16 PHEV did not have CHAdeMO, however the MY17 does have CHAdeMO so it makes sense to me that you will also get it. I believe the reason here for the change is the introduction of a minimum uniform charging standard for EV and PHEV vehicles from our Electric Vehicle Council industry body, so Canada may be doing the same thing?

zzcoopej said:
Here in Australia the MY14.5 and MY16 PHEV did not have CHAdeMO, however the MY17 does have CHAdeMO so it makes sense to me that you will also get it. I believe the reason here for the change is the introduction of a minimum uniform charging standard for EV and PHEV vehicles from our Electric Vehicle Council industry body, so Canada may be doing the same thing?

Good to know, thanks.

Also, here are some more details about some of the features of the three trim levels to be offered in Canada, from a French promo page:
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=fr&sp=nmt4&u=http://www.mitsubishioutlanderphev.ca/fr/%3Fpromo%3Dboisvert&usg=ALkJrhiCHMdUfOcLF6-YCP3Xm4Gx9pa-Wg

Model: SE S-AWC (Super Traction Intégrale)
Main facilities:

Sport Leather Seats
Electrical Driver Seat
Rain Sensor Wipers
Apple Audio and Touch Screen Display and Link Phone (Including Bluetooth)
Rear Transverse Traffic Alert
And much more

Model: SE TOURING S-AWC
Adds:

Power sunroof
Seats with premium leather surfaces
Power-adjustable front passenger seat
Electrochromic interior rearview mirror with HomeLink
Heated steering wheel
Headlamps
Fog Lights

Model: GT S-AWC
Adds:

Front impact collision attenuation device (FCM) with pedestrian detection
Adaptive cruise control (ACC)
Track Output Alert (LDW)
Automatic headlights (AHB)
Multi-view camera (MVCS)
Rockford Audio System 710 W
Power tailgate
Current converter 1500 W

Big News!

I just put a deposit down on a 2018 PHEV. Went to test drive the regular Outlander yesterday, really liked the ride. Today, the sales guy called and said they just received info on the PHEV. Here's the skinny:

Mitsubishi is taking survey info from pre-order people, to be submitted on the 18th of this month - how many orders, what trim level, colour, and if deposit taken. This will is to determine where the first lot of cars are going.

September, the dealers should be able to place orders in their system.
October builds start.
Delivery 1st quarter of 2018, was told late Jan, or Feb.

3 trim levels:
SE S-AWC MSRP 42998
SE Touring S-AWC MSRP 45998
GT S-AWC MSRP 49998.

For Ontario people, the rebate is looking to be min. 9K, possibly 9.3K, which th dealer I went to are trying to sort out how to rebate the price, rather than having the purchaser apply for it.

Two new colours - Ruby Black (I chose this), and Sterling Silver.
Not available in Cosmic Blue, or Cool Silver.

I have a copy of the features, will post when I have time to scan. Don't have the colours, as it is black and white print out.

J

My dealership forwarded the Dealer Pricing Guide to me which lists all the features and options for the 2018 PHEVs that are expected in Jan/Feb. Next step will be actually ordering.

I'd attach, but can't quite figure out how (it's a pdf)...

J

You have checked the minimum operating temperatures, haven't you? The PHEV begins to have trouble at temperatures that are high by the standards of pure petrol cars and parts of Canada can get ruddy cold in mid winter - my daughter-in-law is Canadian and we have first hand experience of just how cold it can get in places!

We currently have a Ford C-Max Energi, and yes, there is a hit to range for sure in the winter. At best we get about 36-37km on a full charge. This drops to 16-18 in the winter. I expect the same type of reduction in the Outlander, but with the bigger battery most of our daily driving should be on full electric.

jonhache said:
We currently have a Ford C-Max Energi, and yes, there is a hit to range for sure in the winter. At best we get about 36-37km on a full charge. This drops to 16-18 in the winter. I expect the same type of reduction in the Outlander, but with the bigger battery most of our daily driving should be on full electric.

I was not thinking so much about range as the basic ability to get it to boot up. There is a minimum temperature below which it will refuse to attempt to move - not sure exactly what it is, but it is higher than I expected. However, if you are able to live with the Ford C-Max, then I would guess that the PHEV would be no worse. In a British winter - temperatures no lower than about 5C - our PHEV range drops to about 16 miles.

The Mitsubishi Canada site is updated with the PHEV build page!
https://www.mitsubishi-motors.ca/en/vehicle/compare/outlander-phev/2018/
I'm just concerned with the towing capacity! 680 kg
I hope this is just the non-brake assisted limit and with braking it still does the 1500 kg?
Too bad there is no nice blue color option.
Will send out the question with my test drive request...!

Merry Christmas!

I received an email from the sales manager from the dealership yesterday, and the cars have reached port on the west coast. He even sent a pic.

They now want to confirm trim level and colour to match VINs with requests. Getting closer.

He also sent a bunch of specs, which I suspect are mostly already known, but did confirm the Ontario electric vehicle rebate is $9555.

Phevy said:
The Mitsubishi Canada site is updated with the PHEV build page!
https://www.mitsubishi-motors.ca/en/vehicle/compare/outlander-phev/2018/
I'm just concerned with the towing capacity! 680 kg
I hope this is just the non-brake assisted limit and with braking it still does the 1500 kg?
Too bad there is no nice blue color option.
Will send out the question with my test drive request...!

Marry Christmas!

Towing capacity is a legal specification. Technically the car can handle quite a bit more than 1500 kg.

Can confirm they arrived in the Vancouver area last week, and I went for a test drive in a GT PHEV last Sunday. The ride was pretty nice and smooth, but with no discounts the price is a bit steep considering the measly $2500 rebate here in BC. We're going to wait until later and try out some others including Kia Niro PHEV before deciding on this one.

The Burnaby dealer that first received theirs received about 7 or 8 and said they had sold half of them already within the first few days.

Back