Canada Outlander PHEV Owner Check-In

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHEV07

I picked up my 2018 Outlander PHEV GT Model on Friday Jan 19, 2018 it had 15 Kilometers on the Odometer.

This is the first Band New Vehicle I have ever purchased so was not too pleased to learn that the Brown interior with red Stitching was not available in the Brown Quartz Trim. This one came with black interior. I am getting used to it.

Manitoba does not offer a Rebate for purchasing Electric or Hybrid Vehicles but I so loved the Technology of this Outlander PHEV that I learn about by viewing YouTubes from Europe and on the Mitsubishi Website that I placed a down payment on this Vehicle in July of 2016 and a further one in June of 2017.

We are getting temperatures of -5 to -25'C so the reported range on EV Mode is not even close due to the need to use the Heat and Defrost when driving. I can Average about 20 kms on a full charge when it is -20'C and about 30 kms when it is a balmy -5'C. If it were not for the very efficient Regenerative Braking the range would be even less by at least 10%

The one thing that needs to be stated out front is that the ICE will always turn on when the Ambient Temp is below Zero Celsius. It will run a few minutes then allow EV Mode even if Button was pushed upon turning Vehicle on.

Battery Range is lower of course if using the Heat while in EV Mode. So it may be better to use the ICE till the Vehicle warms up inside by using the ICE Fluid Heating System instead of the Electric Heater then switching to EV Mode. Testing that now and will report later.

All in all this Outlander PHEV is every bit what I expected and more. Safety Features are second to none on the GT Model.

More of a review later.

Just wanted to start this thread for Canadians to have a Topic to Post within.

PHEV07 said:
The one thing that needs to be stated out front is that the ICE will always turn on when the Ambient Temp is below Zero Celsius. It will run a few minutes then allow EV Mode even if Button was pushed upon turning Vehicle on.

Great to hear you're enjoying the PHEV.
Odd to hear that the EV button is still overruled at start up. It sounds exactly like the behaviour of the old PHEV's, before they got the EV button... :cry:
I have to do daily two 7 km return trips, so I should not need to have to use the ICE at all !
How is it with the pre-heat, seat and steering wheel only heating?

Going to test drive tomorrow! :cool:

Phevy said:
PHEV07 said:

Great to hear you're enjoying the PHEV.
Odd to hear that the EV button is still overruled at start up. It sounds exactly like the behaviour of the old PHEV's, before they got the EV button... :cry:
I have to do daily two 7 km return trips, so I should not need to have to use the ICE at all !
How is it with the pre-heat, seat and steering wheel only heating?

Going to test drive tomorrow! :cool:

Using the PHEV Remote II App, we can only use Main Cabin Pre-Heat and the Windshield Defrost. It uses the Main Battery to power the Heater.

Steering wheel and Seats use 12V only so they do not heat up.

Only way I found to Turn Off the ICE is by not having the Heater On before Turning ON the PHEV.

One of the Members gave a great suggestion and that is to Press the Start Button twice while pressing the Brake Paddle. This allows us to turn off Heater and Turn on EV so the ICE does not start. Then with Foot on Bake pedal press Start one more time till it shows Ready

Unfortunately ....... with Ambiet Temps below -5'C the ICE will still Start up but it should run only for 3 or 4 minutes. Once the ICE is off you can turn on the Heater again. Ice runs for about 3 minutes but after that no more ICE till the Battery is low on Capacity.

I have much more testing to do

Wish there was a Master switch to Turn off ICE

That is where the PHEV Box comes in I guess

People have experimented with removing the fuel pump fuse. Gives a temporary error on the dash but otherwise works like a charm. Word of warning though: you cannot override it when you do need the power to get out of harms way.

anko said:
People have experimented with removing the fuel pump fuse. Gives a temporary error on the dash but otherwise works like a charm. Word of warning though: you cannot override it when you do need the power to get out of harms way.

Yes, it's better to go for the PHEV box.
But has anyone tested it with the 2018 PHEV :?:
The web site only refers to the 2016 and before...

PHEV07 said:
One of the Members gave a great suggestion and that is to Press the Start Button twice while pressing the Brake Paddle. This allows us to turn off Heater and Turn on EV so the ICE does not start. Then with Foot on Bake pedal press Start one more time till it shows Ready

That was me! I actually found that little tidbit in the owners manual. So far, it’s been working perfectly for me to prevent the ICE from starting, even when it’s been very cold outside. I turn off the heat, press the EV button, and then put my foot on the brake to “start” the car. As soon as it’s in ready mode, I turn the heat onto Auto and it heats the cabin with the electric heater alone, no ICE startup.

What's up peeps! Just picked up my Ruby Black Pearl SE yesterday. I haven't put it through it's paces yet, but it's been fun so far.

Will post a little more once I get a few more kms on it. Looking forward to a road trip!

Just checking in! Nice to see you, 'tuna!
Did any of you install a Level 2 charger at home? And if so, which one and from where?

I've been butting my head in the forums already yet I missed this page. Add my name to the tally; Metallic Grey SE Touring car.

Ontario owner here - I had a ChargePoint Level 2 32A unit installed a week ago. Charge times are reduced from ~8.5hours to about ~3.5h for a full charge. The unit works brilliantly and also allows for less range loss from pre-heating the car when the weather turns cold.

Just checking in. Long time electric and hybrid car enthusiast and owner. Just purchased a Ruby Black Base Model in Pickering. Very excited to hear from other owners about this SUV. I love that there is finally a SUV option that is electric. Anyways I will add more later just wanted to say hi to everyone out there.

PhamilyPhev said:
I love that there is finally a SUV option that is electric

How about the X5 or the XC90! Not to mention the Model X.

Hmm. Seems like this is the only electric SUV available so far that's not an X!

I just picked up mine today in the GTA too. Ruby Black SE Touring!

Picked up with 4km on the odometer, and now it's up to 32km. Still haven't used a drop of gasoline!

Yeah my previous post was just a quick first one. There are those options (XC90 and model X) however I should have added in this price range :) So my previous EV/Hybrid type cars on my journey have been as follows.

2000 Honda Insight (red)
2012 Chevy Volt (black)
2013 Ford Focus Electric (blue)
2013 Tesla Model S P85+ (green)
2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (black)

I have enjoyed this type of vehicle immensely but have never really participated in forums other than to read them. I feel like I have a lot of knowledge across a vast number of types of BEV PHEV and ICE cars. I have also tried to test drive and research most electric cars that have come to Canada.

This PHEV was really what I needed at the time as my family is growing and so far I love it.

I also love that the base model seats are amazing and I don't miss the sunroof or the power lift gate as some reviews showed how slow it was. I am looking forward to getting my tow hitch package next Monday and being able to tow my small light tent trailer! That is a first for me in my electric vehicles.

Would love to get some meet-ups going at some point. Any interest?

The order is placed :D
Diamond white SE Touring, Black interior.
Went for test drive on Saturday and was told the 10 - 10 - 10 Warranty deal was ending.
So bit the bullet. Saturday my version was still in stock. But today it was gone, so it's going to be a fresh one from Japan likely beginning of July... ;)
The wait is on.

update 22 May:
The new PHEFFY has arrived (could not call it PHEVY as that is not allowed on the custom plates :-( )
Delivery planned for this Friday :D

update 25 May:
PHEVY has come home :D
I had to cancel the custom plate as it is not available in a green plate. :cry:
Let the fun begin! :lol:

Hello, new west coast owner here.

I bought my Rally Red base model on April 1st, and took delivery on the 21st, as no red ones were in stock yet. I'm using the vehicle in my courier business, where fuel economy is very important, but also wanted a vehicle that was capable of my weekend back country explorations. In the 8 weeks I've had it, I've done 9000 km, mostly business, but have managed to get out in the woods every weekend, for at least a day trip, though no campouts yet.

So far, I'm very pleased with the fuel economy, and with the performance, though it really needs a 2" suspension lift, and 2" taller tires, to be truly capable on the rougher roads and trails. Since the owners manual says that mods like those will void the warranty, I'll have to wait 2.5 years (160,000 km) to do that.

Welcome BCbackroader,

Glad you enjoy it.
A limited slip diff would also be very welcome.
I hope, I have to wait a lot longer before my warranty runs out, as I do not make that many km/yr.
It should be good enough for my camping trips, I hope. (Have not been able to get out yet either.)

Thanks for the welcome, Phevy

My previous SUV, an '05 TrailBlazer, had a rear axle locker, which made it very capable, even in 2 wd, but also had to be lifted 2.5", and upgraded to 31" all terrain tires to really do well on the logging/mining roads and rougher trails. So far, the S AWC has performed almost as well as the G80 locker in the TB, but the stock tires are pretty poor for off pavement use. That will be my first upgrade, when the OEM Toyos wear out. BTW, not having a spare is crazy. I'll have to get an extra rim and tire, and find a way to secure it safely for out of cel range journeys.

Are you aware of any forum members who've done mods to make our platform more trail ready? I'll keep searching the forum, but that will take a while, so any leads would be appreciated.

Just checking in from Toronto - picked up a Silver GT just yesterday (dealership had it in stock and I thought I'd go for it before Doug Ford removes the rebate incentive - $7000 is nothing to sneeze at). Coming from an '06 Lexus RX400h Hybrid SUV. I'm having a ChargePoint installed tomorrow (again, get the incentive of $1000 before it's taken away), though I used the 110V charger last night with no problems - well, I was a bit scared when I woke up to the sound of rain and worried that I shouldn't be charging the PHEV in the rain, but a quick Google search allayed those fears.

Looking forward to a daily commute to the office in EV mode. And looking forward to learning more about the PHEV from actual owners/experts on this board.

Happy Canada Day Weekend to all!

Welcome renz.
Yes that's why I went for the PHEV in April. Figured get the deal while it's still available.
Lots to learn, but mostly lots to enjoy. The car is pretty smart and will do fine on it's own. But you're likely interested in how it works and some tweaks will make the car do even better for you.

Hello, my wife and I purchased a Outlander PHEV about a month ago now. Live in Calgary Alberta, purchased in Red deer. They had the most knowledge and the best price. Calgary was honestly pathetic. My wife knew more about the car that these guys. Mind you the 19 year old trying to sell us the car couldn't stop talking about his stunt driving career for more than 5 seconds to get a question in.
Alas... We're very much enjoying the vehicle. About to set off on an epic road trip. So far nearly 1500km zero fill ups. About to take it in for a trailer hitch install and the dealer said they would fill the tank for us. :) Anyways planning on driving from Calgary highway 1 to Victoria then highway 3 back to Calgary over 20 days or so. Camping gear a 6 month old etc.. seems to all fit even. Anyways hope everyone enjoys their car. If there are any "EV meets" in and around Calgary feel free to say hi!

Back