Potential buyer, need a perspective from colder climes

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrraider

I'm posting here because I need a North American perspective on the Outlander PHEV, particularly Canadians, New Englanders and Midwesterners.

I'm considering the PHEV as a replacement for our Volvo S60. We have two kids and the sedan gets tight on road trips for luggage.

I have a good grasp of PHEVs since I drive a gen 2 Volt now.

My question relates to how the Outlander PHEV deals with cold temperatures. Does it force the gas engine on under certain temps, and how often does it cycle. I live in Montreal, and we are below zero at 4 months a year, with a few runs below -15C every year. I have an interior garage and an L2 charger for the volt already.

If I'm going to run on gas half the year, I'd rather get a RAV4 hybrid and I don't need to enforce charging discipline on the wife.

In my experience (which is only 3 weeks), you can prevent the engine from starting in cold weather if you do things right. When you get in to start it, make sure the climate control is off and the EV mode button is pressed. Then, once it's "started", you can turn the climate control on if you want and it will use the electric heater (as long as you're in EV mode). If it's plugged into an L2 EVSE, you should also preheat whenever possible.

This is what I've been doing and haven't had to use any gas at all, even when temps were close to 0F.

I've had mine less time but agree with previous poster. Compared to the C-Max I traded, the combination of pre-heat and electric heater allow for far less ICE running.

This coming winter will be our first. We just bought about a month ago. The manual says to use pre heating and the. To go in to EV mode with the heater off then select heating to keep the ice from coming on. We have yet to pre cool the car. Maybe we should try it out before our vacation trip.

Ps nearly 1500km so far and have not added fuel. Ice says 149km left in fuel. 89% city errands mostly EV. We bought the car 150km away and have done one road trip to Sundre. So seems like road trips use ICE to the tune of 5.5-8.1L/100km. City has been 0-1.3L/100

Back