US Federal and State tax and other rebates, benefits.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N6IO

Here in Maryland I find the following benefits are available for buying my 2018 Outlander PHEV:

$5836 Federal tax credit
$1200 Maryland sales tax rebate
Maryland 40% rebate on charger and installation
Access to HOV lanes with one person in the vehicle

On the federal tax credit: Does anyone know what paperwork gets filed when? My tax guy is unfamiliar. It appears I have to wait until next year when I file for 2018. I just hate to wait because these programs sunset, and congress can change the rules at any time.

On the state sales tax refund - I mailed in the form today - anyone know if you get a check back, or credit on your 2017 taxes or what?

Apparently the 40% refund on charger has a limit on cash available, so you need to apply early each year before they run out of money. Has anyone done this? I bought a level 2 charger for $175, but I am waiting to get a weatherproof box installed to store it and protect the outlet for it since the 40% rebate covers cost of charger plus installation up to $750, but only for ONE charger.

As for the HOV lane access - it seems like the program expires in September, 2018 - so the sticker you get will expire then. Is anyone aware of this being extended beyond this September? I rarely drive where there are HOV lanes, so not sure it's worth the postage stamp to get this.

The only one of those credits I can take advantage of in Vermont is the federal tax credit, so I can’t answer your questions about the rest. You can’t do anything to get the federal tax credit any faster. When you file your taxes next year, the credit will be applied to the federal income tax that you owed for 2018. Hopefully, that will mean you’ll get a nice tax refund.

The government just passed new tax laws that include this credit, so you don’t have to worry about it disappearing before then.

I am interested in buying a 2019 Outlander PHEV and not a 2018. My Mitsubishi dealer here in Florida says he may have some 2019's come January or February. Will the $5,837 tax credit still be available in Jan-Feb of 2019? Or does the federal tax credit for PHEVs end once 2018 comes to an end?

Google searching this matter tells me there is a 200,000 unit sold stipulation associated to the federal ev tax credit. I understand Tesla has already sold 200,000 cars for 2018 so does this in any way negatively impact my getting the $5,836 tax credit if I hold off in buying my Outlander PHEV in February 2019?

I don't believe Mitsubishi will be anywhere near to selling 200,000 PHEVs here in the USA by the time 2018 closes out, so does this mean I still have a lot of time in the first and second quarter of 2019 to buy my PHEV and still qualify for a full $5,826 PHEV tax credit?

I really hope some one in this forum can clarify this matter for me because it is not 100% clear to me. Thanks in advance for any help.

Yeah, you don't have to worry about Mitsubishi hitting the 200k limit any time soon. However, there is currently a bill in Congress that could potentially eliminate all EV credits. That's anyone's guess, but the fact that Democrats now control the House make it much less likely to pass.

Thank you to all for your postings. It's good to hear the vehicle cap is per Manufacturer. Therefore, the full $5836 PHEV tax credit amount is currently available if I buy a 2018 Outlander PHEV. What is not good is the uncertainty of this bill in Congress that could potentially eliminate the tax credit in 2019. Obviously, this will negatively impact me if I decide to buy a 2019 Outlander and then find out it has been eliminated.

I think the next step is to figure out exactly what features I'm getting in the 2019 that I'm not getting in the 2018 and decide if the waiting is worth it. One difference I learned today is Mitsubishi is raising the price for the 2019 Outlander by $1,700. Again thanks to all for your postings.

matrix84 said:
Thank you to all for your postings. It's good to hear the vehicle cap is per Manufacturer. Therefore, the full $5836 PHEV tax credit amount is currently available if I buy a 2018 Outlander PHEV. What is not good is the uncertainty of this bill in Congress that could potentially eliminate the tax credit in 2019. Obviously, this will negatively impact me if I decide to buy a 2019 Outlander and then find out it has been eliminated.

I think the next step is to figure out exactly what features I'm getting in the 2019 that I'm not getting in the 2018 and decide if the waiting is worth it. One difference I learned today is Mitsubishi is raising the price for the 2019 Outlander by $1,700. Again thanks to all for your postings.
Hi, I'm still contemplating a purchase of 2018, but hope to do it by years end. I dont think the 2019 are coming soon to the US, but I'll let a more seasoned poster address that. In terms of the differences between the '18s and '19s, as far as I can tell it's just a snow mode and heater/ac vents and USB ports in the back, but I may be wrong.

matrix84 said:
...I think the next step is to figure out exactly what features I'm getting in the 2019 that I'm not getting in the 2018 and decide if the waiting is worth it. One difference I learned today is Mitsubishi is raising the price for the 2019 Outlander by $1,700. Again thanks to all for your postings.

Differences between MY2018 and MY2019 are extensive, this post details the differences: http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3755

generaltso said:
Woodman411 said:
You know for sure MY2019 will be forked like Australia? Source?

Your own post that you linked to, right at the top says “Note: this does not apply to USA, CAN, and AUS”.

Good point, I updated it :) The same dealers that told me USA will get the forked version, they also said it would be here by November. They also verified they did not receive the March 2018 Canadian memo saying they would get the forked version. So at this point, I guess it is possible either way - the forked version comes late as MY2019, and the fully updated version comes as MY2020, or the fully updated version comes as MY2019. Hoping for the latter.

Here what I got back from incentives:
$5.8k from Fed Tax Credit;
$1.5k from California rebate;
$0.45k from utility rebate (2019 the rebate increase to $1k);
Purple HOV sticker to drive alone in car pool lane.

Tai

Back