EV Only Mileage

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogman12

I have made my 32 mile RT commute on EV only. I am staying off the highway, keeping speeds under 45 mph. But, it is HOT on the way home, 98-102 F, PHEV sitting in that all day, which is not optimum. (the service mgr at the dealer told me the PHEV sends cool air to the batteries.) I kept the cabin A/C at 84 on Fan 1.

I am quite happy with this: under $.04/mi energy cost, 2.67 mi/kwh. Not bad for the curb weight.

What are others finding?

27 miles in London yesterday - not bad for 4 year old car with 27,000 miles on the clock. :mrgreen:

greendwarf said:
27 miles in London yesterday - not bad for 4 year old car with 27,000 miles on the clock. :mrgreen:

Ruddy amazing, I would say! the best I've ever achieved was just under 29 miles and that was when the car was brand new, cruising at a steady 30mph on flat, empty roads without stopping.

maby said:
greendwarf said:

Ruddy amazing, I would say! the best I've ever achieved was just under 29 miles and that was when the car was brand new, cruising at a steady 30mph on flat, empty roads without stopping.

This is normal stop/start driving through the West End via Marble Arch, from Clapham to Hendon, and although I get a pay back on the return from North London by being able to mainly coast down through Finchley I've "paid" for it on the uphill outbound journey.

BTW most of the mileage has been in EV with daily charging back to full - which some contributors suggest will degrade the battery. I also drive mainly in B0 flicking up to B3/B5 when braking. Obviously not a "Friday afternoon" build. :lol:

EDIT - did even better last night all the way from N London with no petrol or battery used! Mind you was on the back of a recovery truck after I burst a tyre kerbing it. :oops:

I am in Illinois. During the hot summer days with the AC set at 72 degrees. A full charge will show 20 miles. Now that it is cooler 30 to 50 degrees, with climate set at 76. A full charge is showing 15 miles. What is going on? Is this normal? My PHEV is 8 months old with 6k miles. I was expecting the EV mileage to increase once I stopped using the AC.

We are used that the a/c is more expensive than heat, because heat is a waste product in an ICE car. For an EV this does not apply. Heating comes at a higher cost than a/c.

ThudnBlundr said:
Plus a cooler battery cannot deliver the same energy.

Are you able to preheat it while it's plugged in? That should help the range

Preheat does warm up the cabin .. not the battery .. AFAIK .. so range will be less, since preheat consume more power then what can be loaded from the network.

About could battery ... I'm not sure if it has a different energy (in Ah capacity point of view) ... I know a cold battery has an higher internal resistance, so this cause to use more Amps for the same needed power, so a trip will consume more capacity of the battery

In cold weather air is more thick , in additional to higher internal battery resistance, there is also a higher air resistance

The trip cards from WatchDog should show nicely the different amount of power needed for the same trip between summer time and winter time ...

Okay, I failed to realize it is now dark when I leave for work in the morning as my hours have changed. My headlights are what is making the mileage different. :roll:

reeseman said:
Okay, I failed to realize it is now dark when I leave for work in the morning as my hours have changed. My headlights are what is making the mileage different. :roll:
You can't be serious. Which would mean you meant sarcasm? But I don't understand why. People are trying to help you.

anko said:
]You can't be serious. Which would mean you meant sarcasm? But I don't understand why. People are trying to help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWh1bJ772Mk

At 2m15sec ....

"but it soon became apparent that driving with the lights on was sapping much needed power from the batteries"

Said by an automotive professional journalist about driving an iMiev years go on Fifth Gear

:shock: :mrgreen: :ugeek:

With one (or two) of these?

amslcrew1.jpg

anko said:
With one (or two) of these?

amslcrew1.jpg

I only know ...

It was with Mitsubishi lights ... and we know, there are a lot of similarity between iMiev and our PHEV ... so ...

Anyhow ... if it was valid "comment" on a iMiev ... I guess is equally relevant for the PHEV :mrgreen:

Luckily ... we have the "dog" which can show us in real time the difference in energy flowing from the battery in different working conditions ... but ... the guys from Fifth Gear did not had a "dog" at the time of filming :ugeek:

The front and rear lights will draw a maximum of 300W (and that's pushing it). That's around 1% of the amount needed to keep the PHEV moving. I'm not sure I would notice a 1% drop in range...

If you preheat the car, it won't need to use the battery to heat the car, so it will improve your range. If you give it a few minutes to charge once it's warm, it will be able to recharge the battery, as it takes much less power to maintain the heat than to raise it from ambient

ThudnBlundr said:
The front and rear lights will draw a maximum of 300W (and that's pushing it). That's around 1% of the amount needed to keep the PHEV moving. I'm not sure I would notice a 1% drop in range...

If you preheat the car, it won't need to use the battery to heat the car, so it will improve your range. If you give it a few minutes to charge once it's warm, it will be able to recharge the battery, as it takes much less power to maintain the heat than to raise it from ambient

300w = 1% ... implies using an average of 30kw while driving ... which is true only on motorway at high speed

For example , in my daily trip I'm consuming 2.5kwh for 25min drive ... so an extra 300w load, will cause 0.15kwh that is 6%

6% of the ideal 52km EV range, is 3.1km ... so it is something visible in a trip.

Clearly .... 300w is nothing compared to the peak 4000w used by the electric heater ... which I normally don't use, mainly due to the high risk of starting the ICE

I fail to see how you can get anywhere using 2.5kW for 25 minutes. That means you've used just over 1 kWh. At 5km per kWh, that's an average of just over 12km/h!

If the car is warmed by the preheater, the ICE will not need to start as the car is warm already. 4kW is the max heater draw - when the car is warm it will use far less than 4kW to maintain the heat

ThudnBlundr said:
I fail to see how you can get anywhere using 2.5kW for 25 minutes. That means you've used just over 1 kWh. At 5km per kWh, that's an average of just over 12km/h!

If the car is warmed by the preheater, the ICE will not need to start as the car is warm already. 4kW is the max heater draw - when the car is warm it will use far less than 4kW to maintain the heat

Right ... I forgot some h in kwh above ... I did correct my post.

2.5kwh in 25min is about an average 6kw usage .. which is looking compatible with city usage ... actually I'm sure people can do even better then me, using even less power.
2.5kwh and 25min is what reported by the dog, for a 11km trip with average speed a bit below 30km/h

Yes ... heater use max 4kw, (as I wrote above, as peak) .. still even if the car is pre warmed , I'm not sure which are all the delta temperature consider ... so in my case I normally don't take the risk, as well ... keeping active the heating, on next car restart the ICE can fire up immediately ... that's why my car has always 15C configured as cabin temperature

Back